Thursday, March 1, 2018

EMvTW 112: USS Phoenix NCC-65420 (Nebula Class Variant)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Issue #112 of my Eaglemoss vs. The World series brings us the USS Phoenix (NCC-65420), another Nebula Class vessel.  This vessel was introduced to us in Star Trek: The Next Generation during an episode called "The Wounded".


As I stated, Eaglemoss has decided to grace us with ANOTHER Nebula Class.  This sort of release always concerns me, especially after what I deemed a joke with Eaglemoss' re-release of the Constitution Refit back in issues #2 (Review LINK HERE) and #72 (Review LINK HERE).  After that, when I see two similar models from Eaglemoss, I can't but help to raise an eyebrow.



Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Nebula-class was a type of Federation starship that was in service in Starfleet during the second half of the 24th century."  They go on to say this about the USS Phoenix, "The USS Phoenix (NCC-65420) was constructed by the Yoyodyne Division at 40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards and commissioned on stardate 40250.5 in 2363. In 2367, the Phoenix was under the command of Captain Benjamin Maxwell."  As a quick refresher, the captain and his ship went rogue and started attacking Cardassians.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Nebula Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
USS Phoenix (NCC-65420) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

One of the reasons I initially started writing these articles was to do comparisons of Eaglemoss models with other manufacturers who may have made a pre-built and pre-painted versions of the same ship.  As the Eaglemoss lineage progressed, that collection of other manufacturers has thinned out and I very rarely get to to that sort of comparison anymore.  So, forgive me while I relive that fun once again by comparing Eaglemoss against themselves.

 USS Honshu (NCC-60205) vs. USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)

Besides the USS Phoenix, I have Eaglemoss' first attempt at bringing us a Nebula Class vessel in the form of the USS Honshu.  They gave us this ship all the way back in Issue #23.  You can read my review of that model, as well as a few other Nebula models that I currently own at THIS LINK.

 USS Honshu (NCC-60205) vs. USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)

USS Honshu (NCC-60205) vs. USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)

Both models are exactly the same size.  And both models appear to be almost identical except for the mission module and how that module is attached to the ship.  In my review of the Honshu, the Eaglemoss model had quite a few issues.  Even with those issues though,, the Eaglemoss model still came out on top of the other manufacturers.  Let us see if Eaglemoss managed to improve upon that other model.

 
 
 
 

Right off the bat, I am really impressed that this model comes with a separating saucer section.


Can you imagine my surprise when I unpacked the model from its box and saw the saucer laying in that box all askew?


OK.  Yes.  I'm being sarcastic.  My model came with loose parts.  As a model builder, this really isn't an issue to me as a little super glue can fix that right up.  HOWEVER, I kind of like the fact that mine comes off.  And it fits rather snug without any glue so I will probably just leave it loose so that I can trick people and show it separate right before thier eyes.  😀

As was with the earlier version of this ship, the sculpt work and molded details are still great, with all sorts of windows, phaser strips and escape pods being brought into sharp focus.


In fact, I would say that the mold work may even trump the older model.  The neck piece that connects the secondary hull, to the saucer and then to the mission pod actually has details molded into it this time.  However, they still have failed to give the ship any sort of impulse engines.

 USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)
vs. 
USS Honshu (NCC-60205)

Speaking of the mission module, let us take a look at some comparisons of that next.

 USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)
vs. 
USS Honshu (NCC-60205)

Although the new module isn't as intricate as the older one, it still sports some nice detailing in both the mold work and the painting.

Moving on to the paint work of the overall model, I'm going to say that once again, it seems like Eaglemoss has made some tiny improvements over the original model.


The new model is slightly darker than the old one, but still sports a nice and subtle aztec pattern over the whole ship.  Once again, this aztecing isn't overbearing.  I say that there is a slight improvement with this model because as far as little details go, the windows are all perfectly aligned to thier molded counterparts this time around.

When I reviewed the Honshu, I had made a comment about the joins and seams being rather noticeable on the bottom of the engineering section.  I really didn't notice any kind of change when it came to how they looked this time around, however, you can clearly see that the aztec details were are handled much better on the newer model.

 USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)
vs.
USS Honshu (NCC-60205)

As it was with the older model, this one sports Eaglemoss' ever so cool looking clear plastics for both the bussard collector and the grills.


While we are busy looking at the nacelles, we can see yet another area that Eaglemoss improved upon it's last model.  I had complained that my USS Honshu nacelles were not properly aligned, and this time around, they are straight as an arrow.

 USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)
vs. 
USS Honshu (NCC-60205)

And that brings us to the deflector dish.  Whenever I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.

You can definitely see that Eaglemoss used the same mold here.  However, it looks like they improved upon thier paint work.  The slight change of colors and better application has gone a long way in making the same thing look better.

 USS Phoenix (NCC-65420)
vs.
USS Honshu (NCC-60205)

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (March 2018).

Eaglemoss #23 - USS Honshu (NCC-60205) = $30
Eaglemoss #112 - USS Phoenix (NCC-65420) = $32

NOTE: Prices were researched last on March 1st, 2018.  You can also currently order either the USS Honshu or the USS Phoenix directly from Eaglemoss for around $23 each (shipping unknown).

Eaglemoss has truly outdone themselves with this model.  When I last reviewed the USS Honshu, it had won out over the other manufacturers in my collection.  But I have to say, all those little improvements that the Phoenix has over her predecessor just screams home run on Eaglemoss' part.  I am used to paying anywhere from $25 to $30 for a standard sized Eaglemoss model, and I would dare say, that I would even feel comfortable paying up to $40 for this one with how well it turned out.  I highly recommend it for your collection or fleet.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss (Issue #23     Issue #112)
Comparative Shots

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

4 comments:

  1. The ship is wrong though. The physical model of the Phoenix had a different secondary hull. When the show went CGI the Nebula-class got a repurposed Galaxy secondary hull. Eaglemoss did NOT account for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the look of the Phoenix. I'm a bit late to the reveiw post party but thanks for the article. I'm considering adding the Phoenix to my second ever order assuming all three of the ships I want ever get in stock at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my findings were that the Phoenix was a nice improvement over the original model that was released.

      Delete