Sunday, March 11, 2018

VoDleH Class (AKA Emperor Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

As a kitbasher, I sometime get my ideas from other builds that I see.  In the case of this model, I thought about building this model after building a 1:2500 scale Praetorius class that served in Starfleet.  This is the Klingon counterpart to that build.


And here is this model's story...


VoDleH class 
(AKA Emperor Class) 
Unknown Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

The story behind how and why I built this ship is rather interesting.

Back in my earlier days of kitbashing, I was doing a lot of Starfleet based ships.  In some cases, I would find something that someone built in a larger scale and then would attempt to copy that work at 1:2500 scale which for me, was the cheaper alternative.  After building my small scale Praetorius class (designed by Phil Giunta) ship for Starfleet, I thought, "Hey, what if the Klingons built a similar ship?" 


I then proceeded to build my model using 1:2500 scale Klingon parts, all the while thinking that I had come up with a unique design. 

 

Then, as I got more information on Klingon D-7 and K-Tinga class ships, I learned that Matt Jeffries had actually considered this design when he was first creating a Klingon ship. (See my first picture above for this ship design.)

Then, while sharing my finalized build, I learned much to my amusement, that David Wetmore from the Star Trek Modelers Group FaceBook page had also built one, except his was in a larger scale. I guess great minds really do think alike. I initially used his class name of Emperor Class for the ship classification as it just sounded cool.


I later updated my notes and photo library by adjusting the ship's classification to the VoDleH class class.  I had somehow stumbled across THIS LINK on Memory Beta that perfectly described our "little" ship.

I would imagine that this type of ship might serve as a replacement, or next logical evolution for an aging C-8 fleet given the added firepower.  I would also imagine that she would probably be as large as a C-8, thus making my model not an actual 1:2500 scale kit.


Sadly, this was built back in the days when I didn't realize the importance of taking Work In Progress pictures so I really didn't have much to share in regards to the build process.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
The Model   The Build Process

No comments:

Post a Comment