Saturday, March 10, 2018

NX-TypeD Class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

While I was trying to do some research on my TMP era Dakota class carrier, I accidentally happened upon series of pictures by a talented modeler who was tinkering around with kitbashing NX Class ships into new designs.


I will now share what I can about this build.


As I already stated, this was not my design, but for the life of me I can not find the source website now or the original modeler anymore.


It's a shame the source website is gone as I would have loved to share any information that the builder had come up with about this ship.  One giant question that is left unanswered is, "Why is there an extra set of nacelles?"  "Because it looks cool."?  "Because it has a second warp reactor."?  The list can go on and on.

All that I could do was build my own.

USS Dakota (NCC-532)
NX-TypeD Class
1:2500 Scale Johnny Lightning Kitbash

 
 
 
 

I built this back when I wasn't taking Work In Progress pictures of my builds, so sadly, I have no other pictures to share.

I found it pretty fun to take an already existing Johnny Lighting toy and convert it into a kitbashed ship.  And because most of the painting was already done, the build went a lot quicker than normal.  And the price for the main part was not really that expensive,  I think on average, I paid about $16 to $20 for each original model.

This was a rather quick side project I was able to accomplish in one night. I had took the evening off from building some Klingon and Federation dreadnoughts to do a "quick" little kitbash. A special "Thank you!" shout out goes to Alva Boyd Duke from the Star Trek Modelers Group FaceBook page for selling me his old Johnny Lightning NX for parts. As you can see, I added extra nacelles to a Johnny Lightning NX to make a quad nacelle starship. Alva's support pylons had been destroyed in some glorious battle so I used some left over Klingon D-7 nacelle pylons as replacements. This was a fairly easy build once the super glue and model cement set. The toy was already painted so I just needed to silver out the ship name, registry and new pylons. I've read that this is a 1:2500 scale ship. This ship also got nominated for Ship Of The Week on the Star Trek Modelers Group and although I didn't win that week, it was still an honor considering that I build this in about two hours.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
NX-D Class

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I've done that digitally in Mspaint but it's nice to see it done physically.

    ReplyDelete