Friday, March 2, 2018

EMvTW 115: Tellarite Cruiser (Pralim Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

And the Eaglemoss swing comes back the other way to bring us yet another alien ship.  This time, we get to take a closer look at the Tellarite Cruiser, which is also called a Pralim Class in non-cannon sources.  We are introduced to this ship in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode called "Babel One".


I have really been digging the recent round of alien ships from Eaglemoss, I'm looking forward into checking out this model.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Tellarite cruiser was a class of cruiser utilized by the Tellarites during the mid-22nd century."

I don't want to take too much more from those articles as they already were kind of skimpy on the details.  I am happy to say that the magazine does have some nice information on the ship and it's design process.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Pralim Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

There is a lot going on with this model but before we get into all of that, here is my traditional photo-shoot.

 
 
 
 

I'm going to break the normal pattern of my reviews and tackle my major disappointment with this model.  Let us get it out of the way so that we can enjoy everything else that there is to enjoy about it.

I am of course talking about the lack of clear green plastics that should have been used on the front edges of this ship.  The magazine and even all the on screen appearance picture you can find online show that those edges glow.  In fact, those pictures, including the ones in the magazine, show it to be a clear part.  Eaglemoss chose to replicate this effect with an olive green paint.

 

And this is my great disappointment.  Perhaps it was too difficult to replicate, but had Eaglemoss at least tried, I would have been gushing about this model as much as I did about the Lokirrim Warship.  You can check out that review at THIS LINK.

The sculpt work and molded details on this model are superb.  They are crisp and clear and show off all sorts of patterns and lines across the model.


Those little stubby things sticking out of the front of the model are supposed to be antennas.  Although they are not photographically accurate, they were still a nice touch on Eaglemoss' part.


The other greeble that impresses me also has me a bit baffled.  I'm not sure what they are, as the magazine doesn't identify them, but Eaglemoss has also replicated what I am guessing are some sort of exhaust ports from the rear of the previously mentioned "glowing" areas of the ship. I find these sorts of parts a really nice touch.


Anytime a manufacturer can replicate gaps in a ship's hull, that company should be commended.  I love the fact that Eaglemoss didn't grace us with just a big chunk of metal or painted it in an attempt to replicate the gaps. 


I am going to say that the most impressive part of this model has got to be that engineering section.  The molded details show off all sorts of exhaust ports and if you look deeper, there are even conduit pipes.  The addition of the green paint to represent the glowing engines was icing on the cake, and wraps up the looks of the engineering section.  I feel that this final piece rings the model even closer to the look of that of the magazine pictures.



Eaglemoss even added some greeble work in the form of the upper and lower engine assemblies.


The paint work is where I am going to disagree with some of my fellow reviewers.  I find that the entire paint scheme is surprisingly not dull or boring.  Even though a majority of the model is painted in a metallic green, the little additions of paint in certain areas helps break up the monotony.  I feel like the ship's over all painted look matches the pictures in the magazine quite well.


Swinging back to the rear of the ship and that impressive engine housing, Eaglemoss graced us with some nice contrasting red paint on the engine intakes.


Whenever I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish...   Oh wait, this isn't a Starfleet ship.  Now I'm confused.  Ha ha.

I thought that it was a cool touch to give the deflector dish on this alien ship some attention.  It is nothing extraordinary, but it is still just enough to draw attention to it.


I do have one last complaint about the model.  I tried to look up a term to describe the opposite of a poop sandwich, but apparently there is none.  I feel a little bad handling it this way, but hey, I'm calling things out as I see them.

The joins and seams on this model are not the best Eaglemoss work.  There are some gaps in a few locations that are not meant to be there and this detracts from the model's overall sleek appearance.  Unlike other models that Eaglemoss has made for us, these joins just don't blend as well.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (March 2018).

Eaglemoss = $29

NOTE: Prices were researched last on March 2nd, 2018.  You can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

Is this ship worth the money?  Considering that you can get it right from Eaglemoss at thier standard prices, then I have to say that it is most definitely worth obtaining.  Even though they chose to leave out the clear plastics, Eaglemoss has still produced a very nice looking model.  It is unique and interesting enough to stand out in your alien fleet.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment