Thursday, March 8, 2018

Avenger Class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Sometimes, while browsing around the internet, or reading through some of the model club FaceBook pages that I hang out at, I'll be introduced to a drawing that just grabs my attention and screams "BUILD ME!!!"

This is the story of one such build.


Since the ship has never been seen on screen, there is no official canon classification for it.  Some non-canon sources have deemed it the Avenger Class.


Per Memory Beta, "The Avenger-class was a type of scout starship deployed by the United Federation of Planets in Starfleet service in the mid-23rd century."  That source goes on to say, "The USS Halcyon is the only vessel known to belong to the Avenger-class in Star Trek literature. Some fan fiction sources have associated Avenger-class vessels as a variation of the Miranda-class, but no licensed sources have ever referenced such details about the ships' design."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Avenger Class Information: Memory Beta LINK and NO Memory Alpha LINK
USS Reliant Model Information: Memory Alpha LINK

I guess, the best logical place to start is to tell the story of what the USS Reliant was really supposed to look like...


This is the original design sketch, which can be found on the internet (like the Memory Alpha link), of what was submitted to the producers of the movie.  The legend states that the sketches came across his desk upside down and in his rush to go work on another project out of the country, he signed off on them like that.  The model designers debated about re-sending those designs but due to time constraints decided to build it in the style we all know.

This original design was later incorporated into other Star Trek stories and tech manuals and has since been called the Avenger class.  I decided that I wanted one for my collection.

USS Avenger (NCC-1860)
Avenger Class
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

The design is rather simple.  Simply remove the roll-bar and weapons pod from the top of a Reliant model.

Next, you flip the nacelle struts around so that the are pointing up.

Then you mount the nacelles on top.

You finish up the build by adding on two weapons pods to the bottom of the nacelle struts that stick out beneath the ship.


I hate to make is sound so simple.  Unfortunately, I built this at a time when I was first honing my kitbash skills and at a time that I didn't photograph my work in progress.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
AMT Kitbash

No comments:

Post a Comment