Thursday, March 1, 2018

EMvTW 113: Lokirrim warship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Next in my Eaglemoss vs. The World series is is a ship that I had forgotten completely about and was then surprised when it came along in the collection.  The Lokirrim warship was seen in Star Trek: Voyager during and episode called "Body and Soul".


I have to say, I was rather surprised by this latest addition by Eaglemoss.  And by surprised, I mean impressed.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Lokirrim warship was a class of medium-sized starship utilized by the Lokirrim in their conflict with photonic insurgents. The ship was equipped with phasers and a photonic disruptor that could remotely decompile holograms, though it was no match for a Federation Intrepid-class starship."

I can't even quote any more because the Memory Alpha site really didn't have much to say about this ship.  In fact, there is so little information about this race of aliens and thier ship that there isnn't even a Memory Beta article on them.

Lokirrim Warship Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK

Surprisingly, the magazine actually offers more text than the online resources and it also goes into several reuses of the model that served as the basis for the Lokirrim warship.

For a ship that doesn't have a lot of information on it, dang this thing is detailed!

 
 
 
 

There is just so much going on with this model.  Where do I begin?  Well, I guess I'll start where I always begin...

The sculpt work and molded details on this thing are fantastic!


This model is crammed full of things to look at.  All of those exposed areas, and other protruding fiddly bits just beg for second and third looks.


Although the majority of the model is metal, all those molded details are still nice and crisp.


Of course, the tactile details are not the only thing to gush over.  That paint scheme is really eye catching.  All those golds, silvers, coppers and grays are arranged in such a way to just draw you into the molded details even more. 


There is even a fine aztecing going on to give the illusion of even more texture.  One neat but tiny addition was the painting of several of what I assume to be intakes on the bottom and top of the model.


The windows at the front of the ship made for a particularly nice touch.  Sadly, some of the tiny details, like on some of those windows, do not line up perfectly with their molded counterparts, however, with so much going on, it is easy to miss this.  I did until I had my proof-read session for this article.


The joins and seams on the bottom of the model are noticeable, but have been arranged in such a way to give the appearance of being part of the ship's natural lines.


Overall, this is one of those models where the paint work and the sculpt work just blend perfectly.

I have one last observation about the Eaglemoss model.  Well actually, it's not about the model, but rather, the stand.  I'm not going to mince words.  The stand sucks.  I put the ship on display in my collection and shortly afterwards, it suddenly decided to disengage from the stand so that it could take a rest on the bookshelf.


And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (March 2018).

Eaglemoss = $28

NOTE: Prices were researched last on March 1st, 2018.  You can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

We now come to the part of my article where I tell you whether I think the model is worth the money or whether I think you should buy it.  I have often shared that I am accustomed to buying standard sized models from eBay for around $25 to $30, so in my opinion. the pricing is spot on and affordable.  Honestly, I could not come up with anything bad to complain about on the actual model.  It is a stunningly beautiful rendition of the ship and will look great in anybody's alien starship collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment