Monday, July 20, 2020

No Golden Tickets (or Enterprises) Here...

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: NONE YET

We are going to take a quick divergence from my regular writings for a minute.

For a while now, I have skipped certain Bonus (or Extra as I call them) Line of Eaglemoss models because I couldn't bring myself to spending money on essentially a re-skin of an already published model.  It didn't seem to me like the build quality was going to get any better and chances were, the paint work was probably going to be almost identical to the originally released model except for the new registry markings.

It looks like Eaglemoss is now scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas on how to part us with our money yet again, and I am thinking that I will now be skipping purchasing certain Special Edition line of models going forward.

Starting with Special Edition #20, Eaglemoss has decided to bring us a golden model of the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1707-D).

I believe their intention is to give us the ability to create a display much like the one on the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E) that was located in it's observation lounge.

Photo Credit: John Eaves

You really should go check out John Eaves' blog entry (at THIS LINK) about the USS Enterprise-E's Golden Enterprise Display.  It is a long and well illustrated article about his work on this iconic display case.


Sadly, this display case gets wrecked halfway through the movie Star Trek: First Contact (1996).  But now, thanks to Eaglemoss, you can bring it back to life in your own living room.

At the time that I am writing this article (July 2020), the UK based Eaglemoss Webstore also has Special Edition # 23, the golden U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS era) model also available for purchase.

Here in the US, these golden Special Edition models are going to cost you a whopping $65 per model.  That $15 MORE than the regular Special Edition pricing of around $50 per model.  WHY?  I guarantee these are not plated in real gold, but instead in golden plastic.  So Eaglemoss is expecting me to pay $15 more for a model that has absolutely no painted details other than it being golden. 

Well, I have this to say to that.  NOPE!

I'm OK with that.  I've spent a ton of money in the last two months trying to catch up my Standard Edition, Special Edition and Bonus Edition model collection from when I took a break a year ago.  I'll gladly spend that $130 or more on other things.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

2 comments:

  1. Personally I like my starships to look like "actual" starships, not ornaments, so gold-plated decorations are a hard pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is a market for people out there, and I've seen some people actually buy them, but after seeing the shared posts, I still don't see the need for them in my collection.
      ---DS Pat

      Delete