Saturday, July 18, 2020

EMvTW 164 - USS Alka-Selsior NCC-1404 (USS Excelsior Nilo Rodis Concept III (AKA U.S.S. Excelsior Prototype Mk III))

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: NONE YET

This next review is of a ship that almost wasn't cannon, but thanks to a brief appearance, it now is considered part of the fleet.


We very briefly get to see this starship at Surplus Depot Z15 in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "Unification, Part I".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The USS Alka-Selsior (NCC-1404) was a 23rd century Federation starship operated by Starfleet.  In 2368, the Alka-Selsior was one of the many decommissioned ships stored at Surplus Depot Z15 in orbit of Qualor II."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

USS Alka-Selsior (NCC-1404) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

The model we are looking at this time around is actually one of the concept models that was designed and built back in the days when the USS Excelsior was being created for created Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.  Although it is a concept model, it is considered canon since it appeared, although VERY briefly, on screen.


There is not a lot of information on these concept models, however, Memory Alpha does have a small section about them at THIS LINK.

I already reviewed the Eaglemoss USS Excelsior and a few other manufacturers versions of it way back in Issue number 8.  You can read my review of that model at THIS LINK.  Eventually, that type of ship evolved into the Excelsior Refit Class or better known as the USS Enterprise-B.  Eaglemoss and several others also produced a model of that ship in Issue number 40 and you can read my review of that ship at THIS LINK.  Within the last two months, I reviewed Eaglemoss' version of the USS Excelsior Nilo Rodis Concept II (AKA U.S.S. Excelsior Prototype Mk II), during their Issue # 152 release.  You can read that review at THIS LINK.  And last but jot least, I recently reviewed the USS Excelsior Nilo Rodis Concept I (AKA U.S.S. Excelsior Prototype Mk I).  You can read my review of Issue # 158 at THIS LINK.

Wow, that is a lot to take in, but Eaglemoss did provide us with a neat lineage of how the Excelsior and the Excelsior Class Refit came to be.  Now, let us take a look at the last of the Excelsior concept models to come out of Eaglemoss.

 
 
 
 

I am a fan of these concept models that Eaglemoss has brought us.  It gives us the ability to actually hold some Star Trek history.  And now I'm going to give you a visual that you won't be able to unsee.  I am a fan of the anime series Space Battleship Yamato.  In recent years, they have rebooted the first two seasons of the series.  In the most resent season, we see a new kind of starship, the Andromeda Class Battle Carrier.  When I saw the Eaglemoss model with its over-sized saucer section, I could not help but think of the Space Battleship Yamato ship with its similar looking flight deck the protrudes off the back of the command deck.


Anyway, I just wanted to note the similarity.  Moving one with our review, the sculpt and mold work on the Eaglemoss model is very well done.  The model bears tons of tactile details across the entire ship.


Parts of the secondary hull bear a striking resemblance to the Excelsior that eventually comes from the design ideas.  From this view, you can see the secondary shuttle bay that becomes a standard feature of the Excelsior and Excelsior Refit class starships.


The front part of the secondary hull continues with the familiar looks.  The saucer section has lots of panel lines etched into it as well as the other important parts, like the sensor dome assembly and phaser banks.


Complimenting the mold work is a decent paint job as well.  It is not perfect, but it is decent.  The entire model is covered by a light aztec pattern that does not overwhelm the looks.


The impulse engine crystal looks amazing, but sadly, other details like the stripes along the sides of the extended saucer section have a slight misalignment.  After looking at the magazine, I realized that the impulse engines are not painted.  Well, actually they are, but Eaglemoss painted them in the wrong place.


The saucer section is brilliantly colored with all those key elements painted in.  I felt like the phaser banks though could have been painted in a bit nicer as they almost seem a bit sloppy.


If we take a quick look at the rear of the model, we find those misplaced impulse engines.


For those familiar with this series of articles from me, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of the Starfleet ship's deflector dish.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.

I was extremely impressed to find that Eaglemoss used clear blue plastics for the deflector dish.  They even added some tiny paint detail.  The effect is simply amazing.


The join seam is only really visible along where the saucer meets the secondary hull, but it isn't badly done so this doesn't detract from the look of the model.

The nacelles for the concept models have been fascinating to me.  On the early designs, you can clearly see the Oberth Class design elements that were used before the designers scrapped the idea.  Eaglemoss did not use and clear plastics on the nacelles but given how thin they are, it would have been difficult to accomplish using them.  Once again, the paint is a bit wonky in places.

 Nacelle: Outer Edge

Nacelle: Inner Edge

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of looking up pricing on eBay and finding the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices at the time of this article's writing.  Prices were researched last on July 18th 2020, and as of the writing of this article, I was able to find the model from a seller for around $57 (shipping included).  The only other model on there was going for $75.  I was lucky enough to get mine for $48.  At the time that I am writing this you can not get the model from Eaglemoss' US WebStore so we are at the mercy of the eBay sellers.

When I buy the Standard Edition models, I expect to pay around $30, and sometimes, I am OK with paying $35, if the quality is good.  I then base my final judgement on the Standard Edition models from that price range.  Unfortunately, this model is a bit of a rare bird which means that unless you can find it on Eaglemoss' website, we are going to be paying a much higher price tag than I prefer.  While this model isn't perfect, I still feel that it is nicely done and could make a nice addition to your collection.  And if you can get it for $35 or less then I strongly suggest that you jump on that deal.  Otherwise, play the patience game because I really don't feel comfortable recomending it for more than that.

BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

This model marks the third and final Excelsior concept model from Eaglemoss.  Here is all three of the concept models lined up with what would eventually become the much loved Excelsior and Excelsior Refit class starships.


Here are a few other side by side shots of the five models.



I do take pride in having all five models now, although I feel I paid a bit too much for them.

What is your favorite concept of the three?  Feel free to comment below..


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Comparative Shots

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment