Monday, July 13, 2020

EMvTW Extra 20 - SS Conestoga (Discovery Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: NONE YET

Our next Bonus Edition (or Extra Edition I like to call them) model from Eaglemoss takes us to the days before the Star Trek: Enterprise era.  This is a much older starship of the fleet, the SS Conestoga.


We first get to learn about this starship in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode called "Terra Nova"  I always liked the look of this ship and long before I knew that Eaglemoss was going to produce one, I bought a resin model kit from a company called Resin Modeler.  Unfortunately, at the time of this article's writing, I have the resin kit packed away for a starbase move so I can not give you a comparison picture.  I'll talk more about that model at the end of this article.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The SS Conestoga was an Earth colony ship that was in service with the Space Agency in the mid-21st century. Launched from Earth in 2069, only six years after Zefram Cochrane's warp flight, the transport's mission was the colonization of Terra Nova, a nearby class M planet. The Conestoga was capable of carrying approximately two-hundred colonists, and was equipped for long-term travel. The Conestoga was commanded by Captain Mitchell."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Discovery Class Information: NO Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
SS Conestoga Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

My model showed up with a slight technical issue.  Apparently, while in transit, it was stuck by a rogue meteorite that knocked off one of the rear engine exhaust ports.  Luckily, I am a model builder and this sort of thing doesn't bother me as a small application of super glue allowed me to fix the issue.


Now that the ship is repaired, we can take a better look at the model.

 
 
 
 

I have to say, Eaglemoss has produced one beautiful model.

The model is covered from front to back with tons of sculpted and molded details.  The model has all sorts of panels, cargo hatches and other important areas of the ship molded into it.


The traditional rocket like engine exhausts were rendered really well on the Eaglemoss model.


The view from the front of the ship gives you a much more detailed idea of how much sculpt work went into this model.


The paint work on this model is probably what really sells it for me.  The entire model is based coated with that familiar metallic silver that we find on most ships of the Star Trek: Enterprise or earlier era.  There is a light aztecing pattern that has been overlain across the model to help with appearance.  Cargo hatches and other panels have been painted in to give the ship more color.  The ship's name and fleet logo have been applied to the sides of the cargo area.  The bridge window also has been painted and the paint work aligns well with the sculpted details.


The warp nacelles have been beautifully recreated.  While the warp grilles are painted on, Eaglemoss did manage to squeeze in clear red plastics for the bussard collectors.

Warp Nacelle: Outer View

Warp Nacelle: Inner View

The only issue I found with my model also had to do with the warp nacelles.  Unfortunately, on my model, the nacelles do not line up properly when you look across the top of the ship.


For those familiar with this series of articles from me, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of the Starfleet ship's deflector dish.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.

This ship is unique in that it has several areas where this up-close and personal look of mine comes into play.  First, the front of the model boasts an antenna array that given how spindly that thing would be in real life, was duplicated rather well by Eaglemoss in this smaller scale.


I particularly like the tiny little dishes that have been mounted both on the front as well as the rear of the ship.  These little greebles look great, even being this small.

 

The join seam has been blended well into the lines of the ship.  You really have to look closely to find them.

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of looking up pricing on eBay and finding the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices at the time of this article's writing.  Prices were researched last on July 13th, 2020, and as of the writing of this article, I was able to find the model from a seller for around $62 (shipping included).  Luckily, you also can currently order the model right from Eaglemoss' US WebStore for around $30 (shipping unknown).

If you have not guessed by now, I REALLY like this model.  I feel that it is well designed, sculpted and molded nicely, and beautifully painted.  I am also thrilled that it is available through Eaglemoss at that $30 price tag.  If you like Terran ships, especially, the older fleet vessels, then this one is a must for your display case.

BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.  At the beginning of the article, I shared with you that I also own a Resin Kit model of this ship that I built and painted myself.


I had already written a review of this model kit back in April 2015 and rather than rehash any of that material, I will just supply you with THIS LINK and if you are so inclined, you can go read the review for yourself and see a lot more pictures of that model.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss          Resin Modeler

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment