Friday, July 17, 2020

EMvTW Special 19 - Li'seria (Ru'afo's Flagship / Son'a Destroyer)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: NONE YET

The next Special Edition model from Eaglemoss is the Li'seria, otherwise known as Ru'afo's Flagship, which is a Son'a Destroyer.


We first get to see this starship in the movie Star Trek: Insurrection (1998).


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Li'seria was a Son'a Solidarity starship, a destroyer vessel in service to the Son'a Command in the 24th century. This Son'a destroyer was active in the 2370s decade.  In the year 2375, Ahdar Ru'afo used this vessel as his flagship during his plan to relocate the Ba'ku from their adopted homeworld in the Briar Patch. Starfleet Vice Admiral Matthew Dougherty also stayed aboard this vessel while working with Ru'afo."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Son'a Destroyer Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
Li'seria Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

With all that out of the way, let us take a better look at this model.

 
 
 
 

This is a BIG model, and bigger doesn't always mean better.  This is one of those models that I feel Eaglemoss probably could have done up as a Standard Edition model rather than waste a Special Edition slot, and they still would have gotten the same results.  My guess is that Paramount was being difficult about licensing again, which means that Eaglemoss was forced to produce this beast.

Let us start by talking about the paint work.  The entire model is painted in a dull gray.  It is then covered in a spotty aztec pattern.  Unfortunately, the aztec pattern is not complete and there are plenty of areas of the model that are missing the pattern, creating many "bald spots" across the ship.


The ship is covered with painted on tiny little windows.  While these help convey a sense of size, I am not happy with how some rows of windows do not align well with the molded details.  To see what I mean, click on the picture below and take a closer look at the top two and the bottom row of windows across the curved section on the front of the ship.


I think the icing on the cake for me is after seeing all the other little paint work issues, was realizing that this very large ship didn't seem to have any impulse engines painted on to help push it around space.


With great size, comes easier to spot mistakes and flaws.  And for this model, when you flip it over, you can't help but see the gaping join seams running around the edges of, and across the model.


The one thing that this model has going for it is the crisp sculpted and molded details that cover the entire ship.  Eaglemoss did a nice job with the tail of the ship.


I always like when Eaglemoss is able to pull off executing fins, or external cowlings on their models.  And this model does have those which are visible when you look at the front underside of the ship.


These cowlings then merge together into what looks like a protective breastplate for the ship and then carries itself to the rear of the ship.


Eaglemoss did manage to include a tiny bit of clear red plastics to represent what I believe are the bussard collectors of the model's warp nacelles.  I am merely guessing this though as the magazine doesn't really label them.


Unfortunately, the "warp grill" is painted on.  I think using clear yellow plastics would have been a better choice and might have helped raise the score for this model a bit in my book.


And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of looking up pricing on eBay and finding the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices at the time of this article's writing.  Prices were researched last on July 17th, 2020, and as of the writing of this article, I was able to find the model from a seller for around $50 (shipping included).  You also can currently order the model right from Eaglemoss' US WebStore for around $50 (shipping unknown).

When I think of the words "Special Edition", I expect something better than a Standard Edition model.  I am after all paying a higher price, and therefore expect higher quality.  Honestly, I don't feel there is anything "special" about this model.  As I stated earlier, what Eaglemoss ended up producing for us, could have been done as a smaller Standard Edition model and we would not have had to shell out $20 more for a mediocre model. Had they done this model as a smaller version, they would have scored a lot better with me as well since I don't usually expect as much from a $30 model.  In the end, I have a model that takes up a lot of space on my display case, and in my opinion, doesn't look as nice as some of my smaller models that will sit next to it. 


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment