Thursday, February 22, 2018

EMvTW 107: Klingon Bird of Prey (23rd Century, Attack Position)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Our next issue of Eaglemoss vs. The World series is the 23rd Century Klingon Bird Of Prey.  We are first introduced to this ship in the movie, "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" where... ummm... wait... didn't we cover this ship already?


Why yes!  Yes we did!  Way back for Issue #3 where we clearly covered the 23rd Centiry Klingon Bird Of Prey.  You read that review at THIS LINK.


I am not going to go into my usual Memory Alpha this and Memory Beta that stuff because, I've done it all already.  Go read Issue #3 if you would like to rehash all of that.

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit annoyed at Eaglemoss feeling the need to release this model.  I'm not sure why there was a need for a rehash of the same ship in a different configuration.  And, to further throw me in a bad mood, mine came broke.


Luckily, I'm a model builder by trade, and I easily repaired this with a little super glue.

 
 
 
 

I wonder if this model was a result of a bunch of us fans lamenting the fact that the wings on the original model were immobile.  In fact, when I wrote my review back in the day, the Eaglemoss model lost out to a Hot Wheels model because the later actually had wings that could be positioned in variable ways.

 
Super Sexy Hot Wheels Model Posing On The Runway

I'm sorry Eaglemoss, but a second model with different wing positions is not the same thing.

If you are a completionist, like me, then you are probably looking at this kind of display.


I have decided to save my readers the eye strain of reading a bunch of the same stuff over again and save my fingers the strain of typing the same thing again.  Just take everything I said about the Issue #3 version, and apply it to this model.  Other than some tiny little difference, and the very noticeable wing position difference, these models are very close looking to one another and thier build quality is exactly the same.

I'm going to call Eaglemoss out on this one and say that they just sort of "phoned it in", and as such, I'm going to do the same with the review.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this model.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (February 2018).

Eaglemoss = $29

NOTE: Prices were researched last on February 22nd, 2018.  At the time that I write this article, it looks like the Eaglemoss store is out of stock on this one, so you are stuck with paying eBay prices.

Is this model from Eaglemoss worth buying?  Well...  ahem...  I am accustomed to seeing prices of $25 to $30 for standard sized Eaglemoss models, so the above price doesn't shock me.  But am I willing to say that this model is worth even the standard prices?  No.  First of all, you can get the original Bird Of Prey (#03) right from the Eaglemoss website for around $23 (not sure on the shipping).  Heck, you can get the original Eaglemoss Bird Of Prey from eBay for around the same price as as you would pay on the Eaglemoss website.  And the much nicer Hot Wheels model is priced very competitively.  

Photo Credit: Mattel

So if you REALLY want a model of this ship with different wing positions, skip the Eaglemoss models all together and buy your self the Hot Wheels model as it's still a much better choice.  You'll get all three wing positions for half the cost.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

Eaglemoss Extra #11


NOTE: Apparently, when Extra #11 hits the shelves, Eaglemoss will give us another one of these ships, except that this one will have the wings in the landing position, and we will get to see the Bird's feet.  You can read my review of that model at THIS LINK.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment