Saturday, February 17, 2018

EMvTW 103: Vidiian warship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

The Vidiian race always gave me the heebee-jeebees. The concept of these body part snatchers being able to stun you and steal your innards instantly was freaky.  This next release from Eaglemoss helps bring back those uneasy feelings with the Vidiian Warship which we first get to see in Star Trek: Voyager in the episode titled "Coda".



Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Vidiian warship was a type of warship utilized by the Vidiians during the 2370s. The ship was described as being "loaded with weaponry," and could easily outrun and outgun a Federation Type 6 shuttlecraft."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Vidiian Warship Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Memory Beta has a lot less information regarding these ships.

Let s take a closer look at this ship together.

 
 
 
 

Something about the model doesn't look or feel right to me.  Hopefully as we work through looking the Eaglemoss model closer I can put my finger on it.

The first thing a person will notice is that the ship has a weird arrangement.  The front of the vessel is actually the wider part of he vessel.  But honestly, that is not what is bothering me.  I'm used to weird looking ships.

The sculpting and molded details are good in some areas of the model and not so great in others.


This model seems to suffer from what I call the melting marshmallow syndrome that Eaglemoss models sometime suffer in thier metal parts.  This is when those metal parts details have a softer, less edgy or sharp look to them.  In essence, they look like a marshmallow does when you heat it up over a campfire.


 Because of this, certain areas of the ship, like the sides and rear, look misaligned or out of focus.


The paint job is pretty good though.  There is some light off color panel work going on all over the model (my pictures don't do it justice) and the patches of  tan and yellow do a great job of highlighting important areas of the ship.


I really do like the paint job on this model, even though there are some minor misalignment issues with some of the window paint and thier molded details.


Some of the engine paint doesn't line up with it's molded details either.


I think that one of the things that is disappointing about this model is in regards to the joins and seams.  I blame the melting marshmallow effect for this.  This softness stands out so badly on certain areas, that it draws your attention to those areas where the joins and seams are.


The wings of the ship also don't seem to be fitted very well.


Don't get me wrong.  It is a good model and we now have another alien vessel to add to our fleets.  As I think about it, I'm thinking that my uneasiness comes from the fact that our last model, the Klingon D-5 class was such an awesome model, and this model doesn't quite measure up.  But that's just my opinion.

Let us take a look and see what we can get this model for cost wise.  I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (February 2018).

Eaglemoss = $25

NOTE: Prices were researched last on February 17th, 2018.  You can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

With the prices for this ship hovering lower than then the $30 mark that I normally feel comfortable paying, I would be dumb to say that the model isn't worth a consideration.  It is a nice model, just not one of Eaglemoss' best.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment