Wednesday, February 21, 2018

EMvTW 105: Smuggler's ship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Next up in the Eaglemoss vs. The World series is Issue # 105, the Smuggler's Ship that we are introduced to, very briefly in Star Trek: The Next Generation during an episode called, "Unification: Part I"


I honestly didn't know what to expect when I learned of this model.  And after getting and reviewing Issue #101, the Bajoran Freighter (Antares Class) (Click THIS LINK to read that review.), I was a little uneasy about this model.  I'll explain a little more later on.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "This unnamed combat vessel was encountered at the Qualor II depot in 2368.  Of unknown origin, the vessel was involved in smuggling starship components from the depot by taking the place of the holding vessel USS Tripoli. This combat vessel's armaments were considerable – its phasers were powerful enough to reduce a Galaxy-class starship's shields by at least 15% in a single volley."  Sadly, the ship was very short lived and was destroyed shortly after we first get to see it.

Sadly, there is very little in-universe data on this ship. If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following link.:

Smuggler's Ship Information: Memory Alpha LINK (Halfway down the page).

Memory Beta had no data that I could find on the ship.  In the canon data world, the crew's origins and race were never revealed.  However, we do meet the widow of one of the crew-members, a lovely four armed musician by the name of Amarie.

Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

You can read more about her at these Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINKs.  Based off the information at Memory Beta, we learn that she is from a race of individuals from the planet of Talemstra.  Given that she had quite a bit of money and ships from her husband, I'm going to make the assumption that the ship was a Talemstran vessel.

Earlier on, I made mention of the Bajoran Freighter (Antares Class).

 
Photo Credit: Memory Alpha


The reason I mentioned that ship is because the filming model for the Bajoran ship is actually the same filming model as the one used for the Smuggler ship..  It has of course taken on a whole new paint job and tons of greebles were added, but trust me, it's the same model underneath.  Although the Bajoran ship got a good review from me, it was not one of my favorites and as a result, I didn't know how I would feel about this all black rendition.

 
 
 
 

I do have to say that I'm a fan of the black.  I believe that Eaglemoss has managed to duplicate the menacing look and feel that the original designers were trying for when they cobbled together this ship.

The sculpted and molded details are really well done.  There are TONS of them too.


And all of that etched in detail is nice a crisp looking.


You really need to turn this thing over and over in your hands to take in everything.


I am thinking that all of those tactile details is what keeps this model from getting boring looking.  From a paint perspective, there really isn't a lot of major things going on.

I think the thing that really sells this model is knowing the history behind the filming model, and then seeing how good of a job Eaglemoss did replicating the greebles.

Check out the canons on this thing!


And watch out, there is even one on the bottom.  Sadly, I see these getting broken off as time goes by.


Promotional pictures had me worried about the paint job on this model.  I was extremely concerned that I would end up with a black blob that was hard to look at.  I am extremely happy to say that my concerns were unfounded.  There are some very subtle painted on details though that are a pleasure to find while looking over the model.  First, you have the bridge window at the front of the model.  While you are turning the model over in you hands and admiring all those greebles, you can't help but notice all those tiny little windows that speckle the hull here and there.


The specks of red that grace the rear of the ship to highlight the impulse engines was an extremely nice touch.


The joins are seams where the model is pieced together are superbly hidden into the lines of the ship.  This is probably one of the advantages of an all black model, but it is well executed none-the-less.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on the Smuggler's Ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (February 2018).

Eaglemoss = $29

NOTE: Prices were researched last on February 21st, 2018.  You can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from Eaglemoss' website for around $23 (shipping unknown).

This is the part of my review where I tell you if I think the model is worth the money.  As an alien ship goes, it certainly is an intriguing piece to have on display in your fleet.  Given the amount of work that Eaglemoss put into producing this model, and seeing all those little details that they included, especially the cannons, I have to definitely say, the model is well worth the money.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment