Monday, March 16, 2015

EMvTW 29 - Jem'hadar fighter

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (May 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Let us jump right into the second ship for this month's Eaglemoss vs. The World series, the Jem'Hadar Fighter.  This article will be a little more exciting as I have another small scale ship to compare with.


My current collection consists of an Eaglemoss, a Furuta and a MicroMachine rendition of this ship.

The Jem'Hadar Fighter is a very recognizable vessel in the Star Trek universe.  If you saw one of these scarab beetle shaped ships heading your way, you new you were in for a headache.


The bottom of the ship looks even more insect like than the top.

Here are two quick shots of the MicroMachine ship for your viewing pleasure.

 

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

If you are new to this series of articles, you would not know that I got into writing these as a means to provide some side by side comparisons of the various pre-made and pre-painted small scale ships.  This was a resource that I always wished I had access to when I first started collecting these things.  And so, I started proving this information myself.

With that being said, here is what I call the Gravy Shot pictures, my sole purpose for writing these articles.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

Furuta vs. Eaglemoss

As you can see, the Eaglemoss ship is quite a bit larger than Furuta's rendition.  The color schemes are also a bit different.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

This is not Eaglemoss' first Jem'hadar vessel.  Their 13th issue covered the Jem'Hadar Battleship and you may want to check out my review on that ship at THIS LINK.

This is one of those models that clearly shows just how good the Eaglemoss collection is.  Eaglemoss once again tackles a ship that only one other company has dared to create in the pre-built arena.  Unlike other Eaglemoss' models, this is a larger scale in regards to "real size" vs. the model's size, therefore they are able to squeeze in a lot of extra details.  

I keep referring to the Marquis Raider, simply because both of these ships came out at the same time.  Although the Jem'Hadar ship is slightly less detailed as far as the sculpting and molded details go, she is still super impressive.

I really like thier choice of paint colors on this vessel over the Jem-Hadar battleship.  The mixes of purple, blue and metallic tones is a real eye pleaser.  The color scheme gives it a bit of a cold menacing look to it without being glaring.

They have done a fabulous jon hiding the joins and seam on this model.

This model represents a bit of a first for Eaglemoss as well.  Although they didn't use clear plastics, they did use a translucent, smoky purple/blue plastic on nacelles to represent the glowing parts.  I feel that they do not stand out as much as the clear plastic parts and give the ship a bit of a powered down look to her.  Although, I don't think clear parts would have worked well here.

In all honesty, I could not find any issues with this ship to warrant any kind of negative remarks.

Furuta

 
 
 
 

I always like to point the following out for my first time readers.  Furuta is a Japanese company that produced a series of gashapon toys.  Gashapon toys are meant to be nothing more than cheap little $1 to $5 bubble gum machine prizes.  I like to remind my readers of this fact so that they can take any critical reviews I may make in the spirit it is given.  I am in no way expecting these toys to be on the level of a Hallmark, Eaglemoss or Hot wheels toy.  I found a neat video about these types of toys and you can check that out at THIS LINK.

That being said, Furuta did a very nice job with thier version of this ship.  For a "cheap" little toy, they packed a lot of detailing into this model.  Their molded in details are highlighted nicely by the careful placement of painted details.  Their version is a bit darker than the on screen ship, however, it still bears a dark and foreboding look to it which captures the essence of the Jem-Hadar.

All in all, you end up with a very nice rendition of this ship and as you will see down below, the price is pretty decent too.

Conclusion

And that is it for the ships in my collection that I can share with you.  At this point, I like to do a quick check on eBay to get some prices of the ships I've share with you.  I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $25
Furuta = $11
MicroMachine = $28

I like to wrap up my article by giving you my opinion on which ship would give you the best bang for the buck.  That's my crude way of saying, which one is the best buy.  This time around, it's a bit of a tough decision for me.  If you are collecting on a shoe-string budget like I was initially doing, then I would actually say go for the Furuta model.  What you get for the price is actually a pretty good deal. HOWEVER, if you don't mind spending twice as much, then you should go with the Eaglemoss ship.  It is well worth that money, especially given the amount of attention to detail you will get.

As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment