Thursday, June 25, 2020

EMvTW 156 - USS Melbourne NCC-62043 (Nebula Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: NONE YET

Moving back to our regular lineup of Standard Edition models, we now bring our focus on to the slightly peculiar looking USS Melbourne (NCC-62043).


We first get to see this starship in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The USS Melbourne (NCC-62043) was the name and registry number given to a Nebula-class Federation starship that was seen destroyed in the Battle of Wolf 359."  They go on to say this about the Nebula Class starships, "Construction of the Nebula-class was spearheaded under the authority of the Yoyodyne Division, and ranged in construction dates from as early as 2363 to as late as 2367. Vessels including the USS Phoenix, the USS Prometheus, and the USS Sutherland were constructed at this time at both the 40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards (the first two ships) and the San Francisco Fleet Yards.  The mission profile of the Nebula-class varied from performing various scientific and exploratory roles to conducting patrol and transport duties."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Nebula Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
USS Melbourne (NCC-62043) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

This is not the first time Eaglemoss has released a Nebula Class starship.  The first one was released way back in Issue #23, and was the USS Honshu (NCC-60205).  You can read my review of that model and several other manufacturers' versions of Nebula Class ships at THIS LINK.  The second Nebula Class starship came our way during Issue #112, when they gave us the USS Phoenix (NCC-65420).  If you are so inclined, you can check out my review of that model at THIS LINK.

When I first introduced the model, I called it "peculiar looking".  I called it that because it was part of a fleet of ships that were designed by the show's creators with the sole purpose of being destroyed for their first appearance on screen.  We very briefly see the ship's wreckage on screen, and it's a blurry image at that.


And in my opinion, this is where Eaglemoss has really shown brightly in the model collector's world.  They have done a great job of bringing us models of briefly seen vessels, including a majority of the Wolf 359 battle fleet, so the addition of this model helps complete that collection in a way.  If you are like me, and are too lazy to build and paint your own models, then the Eaglemoss collection is great.

So here is the undamaged USS Melbourne as only Eaglemoss can do.

 
 
 
 

At this point in the collection, I am going to skip any side by side comparisons and just look at this model by itself.  When we are done, I'll then tell you how I think it compares to the others.

Putting the odd appearance of the ship aside, I have mixed emotions when it comes to this model.

Let us start with the paint work for the model.  When you look at the top side of the model, you can make out a very light aztecing going on across the entire ship.


If you flip the model over, the aztecing is completely missing.


The model boasts lots of other painted details across the entire ship. 


Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the painting starts to let you down.  If you start to stare closely at some of the windows, you find that ones that are lit and ones that are unlit are not well aligned.


The window paint is also botched along the leading edge of the saucer section.


It's like Déjà vu.  Just when I started forgetting all about Eaglemoss' habit of misalignment paint details with the molded details, we are presented with a model that brings back all those bad memories.


OK, enough about the window paint.  Let us take a look at something I actually liked.  Eaglemoss spared no expense when it came to using clear red and blue plastics on the nacelles. 


In fact, I am very impressed that they also used these plastics on the smaller set of nacelles as well.


While the join seams are noticeable along the bottom sides of the model, they are not glaringly bad either.

The sculpt and mold work are very well done on this model.  All of those tactile details are crisp and clear and you can definitely tell what part is which on the model.  In fact, panel lines were added to this model, something the previous two Nebula class models were missing.


For those familiar with this series of articles from me, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of the Starfleet ship's deflector dish.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.


I was very delighted to see the quality of work on the deflector dish.  The mold work and paint work compliment each other.

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (June 2020).

Eaglemoss = $72

NOTE: Prices were researched last on June 25th, 2020.  Unfortunately, at the time that I am writing this, Eaglemoss does not have this ship in stock on their US WebStore, so we are at the mercy of the eBay sellers.  And guess what, this model is apparently VERY.  I was lucky to find mine from a UK seller.

And now we come to the part of my articles where I tell you if I feel the model is worth the money.  If you follow my articles regularly, then you are going to already know my answer to this.  I personally am OK with spending up to $30 on a Standard Edition Eaglemoss model.  Anything more than that, and I think we are wasting our money.  And honestly, that price tag that I paid on eBay is ridiculous.  I paid it because I needed the model for my collection and my reviews, but if I wasn't doing these reviews, then I would have been without this model for quite a long time.  

That being said, let us do some quick comparisons.  Here is the Nebula Class fleet waiting to go on their next missions.


That a great picture but doesn't really show us enough, so for the first time in a LONG time, I get to give you what I used to call the Gravy Shot photographs.

(#23) USS Honshu (NCC-60205) vs. (#112) USS Phoenix (NCC-65420) 
vs. (#156) USS Melbourne (NCC-62043)

(#23) USS Honshu (NCC-60205) vs. (#112) USS Phoenix (NCC-65420) 
vs. (#156) USS Melbourne (NCC-62043)

In all honesty, the newest release is probably the best of the three.  Unfortunately, it is also the rarest.  Actually, doing a quick check at the time of this article's writing shows that the US based Eaglemoss Webstore doesn't have any of them in stock.  And my eBay searches were equally unproductive.

I really am at a loss here.  I would love to recommend Issue #156 over the others.  Even with the paint flaws, it is a beautiful model.  I can't recommend it at this time though unless it suddenly becomes available again at a more decent price.

BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

If Eaglemoss is truly bringing the Standard Edition collection to an end after 180 issues, then it appears that this model is the last of the resurrected Wolf 359 fleet.


As a final tribute to this collection of ships, here is a list of what is pictured above, as well as links to my reviews of them.

Issue #91 - USS Saratoga (NCC-31911) (Miranda Class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #95: USS Kyushu NCC-65491 (New Orleans class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #108: USS Ahwahnee NCC-73620 (Cheyenne class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #110: USS Chekov NCC-57302 (Springfield class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #114: USS Buran NCC-57580 (Challenger class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #118: USS Firebrand NCC-68723 (Freedom class) - REVIEW LINK
Issue #126: USS Princeton NCC-59804 (Niagara class) - REVIEW LINK

And here is where I find out who actually reads my articles to the end.  😁  In the comments below, let us all know which one of these ships is your favorite?


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   
Fleet Pictures     Comparative Shots   


Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek

1 comment:

  1. I think the Nebula looks best with the triangular upper part. Very distinctive.

    ReplyDelete