Monday, November 7, 2016

LootCrate: July 2016 Bonus Ship: Planet Express Ship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

This blog is about sharing models and toys from my collection and in some cases doing a review.  A co-worker of mine is a subscriber to LootCrate.  LootCrate is a monthly subscription that costs around $14 (plus shipping) a month and they will send you a box full of stuff.  Each month has a theme, for example, October was horror month and the items in the box revolved around the horror genre.

July 2016's theme was "Futuristic" and of course, the items were sci-fi related.  When she pulled the following item out of her LootCrate, I seriously began to drool...


Apparently, the people over at Quantum Mechanix (QMX) made a model for the members of this "club" and that model is Bessie, the Planet Express Delivery Ship from the hit TV series, Futurama.



I loved the show.  I've watched every episode and "movies" several times.  I have always wanted a model of this ship in my collection, but quite frankly, they have always been a bit expensive (over $200) and out of my reach.

So, when I learned that this smaller model was produced, I set out on a very short lived quest to get myself one without needing to subscribe.  The quest was over before I knew it and I found one on Amazon for around $27 (using my Prime shipping).  Had I been more focused on my quest, I would have been able to save some money and get one on eBay  for around $18 (shipping included).

 
 
 
 

You can read all about Bessie, the character, over at the Futurama Wiki by clicking on THIS LINK.

As for the QMX model, well, let's talk more about that.

The physical model, the sculpting and molding parts is great.  All of the important ship details are represented.  I even have a hard time seeing any joins or seams so this thing has been put together really well.


The magnetic stand is a nice touch and cuts down on stand or model wear and tear.  I particularly like that they stamped the Planet Express logo on the stand too.


The paint job is fantastic!  The ship has been painted with just the right shade of green which us fans know as “electric mucus”.  QMX has put a lot of attention and care into the painting of this model.  From the top side, from the nose to the elongated tail, there is all sorts of details, including the Planet Express logo on the tail fin.


The bottom isn't as detailed, but that was to be expected with this ship.  They did include the door details which was a nice touch.


I usually don't talk about packaging in my reviews, but the box for this is a piece of work in itself.  I feel bad keeping it stored away while my model is on display.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you are a fan of Futurama, and you are a colector of starship models, then this is definatly a worth while quest to go on to find.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Quantum Mechanix

No comments:

Post a Comment