Tuesday, December 30, 2014

EMvTW 14 - Cardassian Galor class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (February 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

As promised, we are actually getting back into doing some comparative discussions with my "Eaglemoss vs. The World" series.  This article is going to focus on the Cardassian Galor class ship.


My current collection of this type of ship consists of an Eaglemoss, a Furuta, and a MicroMachine.  There also is a MicroMachine version of the Cardassian Keldon class pictured to the right.  I was too lasy to remove it from the picture.

I'll share some quick pictures of the MicroMachine, but since my article really isn't about those types of ships, so this will be a very brief showcase.

 

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

Wow, I almost forgot that this is where I talk about size comparison for these models.

As I started getting into collecting and wanting to expand my collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various small scale pre-built and pre-painted ships available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.

So now I present to you what I like to call "the gravy shot", a series of pictures I wished I had seen long ago, and the main reason I started this blog.

Eaglemoss (Top) vs. Furuta (Bottom)

Furuta vs. Eaglemoss

As you can see, the Eaglemoss model is slightly larger than it's Furuta counterpart.  There are also some major differences when it comes to the level of details too.  We'll discuss that more later in this article.

Eaglemoss


 
 
 
 

This is a good example of the level of details Eaglemoss brings to the table, especially with models that are only around $20 a pop.  Although the Galor class ship is relatively simple in design, Eaglemoss didn't let that go to thier head.  Although the majority of the ship is a drab brownish yellow in color, they did a fine job with the sculpting, molding and painting of the finer details of the ship, that in the end, gives you a nice looking little modelp.

I really couldn't think of any complaints about this ship.  If I was forced to make any kind of criticism, it would be to point out the seam along the underside edge of the bridge section.  It just seems (LOL) to stand out.

I thought that is was a nice touch for them to squeeze in a clear plastic part in the form of a deflector dish.

Furuta

 
 
 
 

Before I get into the finer details of this model, I want to remind my reading audience that Furuta is a Japanese company that produced a series of gashapon toys.  Gashapon toys are meant to be nothing more than cheap little $1 to $5 bubble gum machine prizes.  I like to remind my readers of this fact so that they can take any critical reviews I may make in the spirit it is given.  I am in no way expecting these toys to be on the level of a Hallmark, Eaglemoss or Hot wheels toy.  I found a neat video about these types of toys and you can check that out at THIS LINK.  That being said, they did a good job with this ship.

I was initially going to complain about for Furuta's rendition of this ship's deflector dish and make fun of thier choice of color.  Theirs is blue.  However, in order to justify my rant, I Googled "Galor Class" and quite frankly, the deflector dish colors on the pictures I saw, were all over the place.  I saw pictures of red ones, blue ones, orange ones and even a green one.  So, in the end, I have to tip my hat off to them and say, Furuta is not wrong with thier choice here.

The model seems a bit squished as far as length proportions go.  Module placements of the various ship components just seem to be a bit too close to each other.  The ship over all is kind of a dark mustard yellow.  The molding on the ship is good and thier painted on details help add to the beauty of the model.  Although Furuta's model does not have as much detail as Eaglemoss' version, it still is a fair representation.
Conclusion

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  Which brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $23
Furuta = $14  was $46
Micro Machine = $7

When I initially wrote this article back in December of 2014, the Furuta model was going for around $46.  for whatever reason, prices seem to have dropped.  Which makes me have to rethink my final say on which model gives you the "Best Bang For The Buck".  That's my crude way of saying, which one is the best buy.  Back in December of 2014, the Furuta price automatically disqualified the model in my decision making process because I like to try and save my readers money.  That being said, although the Furuta model is now cheaper, I would have to say that I would recommend spending the extra cash and getting the Eaglemoss model.  Overall, it is way better detailed and more screen accurate.

Last but not least, if you are a big fan of Cardassian ships, be sure to check out my article on the Eaglemoss Hideki Class model that I wrote.  You can read that article at THIS LINK.

Anyway, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Furuta     MicroMachine     

No comments:

Post a Comment