Monday, January 12, 2015

EMvTW 15 - USS Equinox NCC-72381 (Nova class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (February 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Welcome to issue number 15 of my Eaglemoss vs. The World series.  In this article, we are going to take a good look at the USS Equinox, a Nova Class starship that was featured in Star Trek Voyager.  Although this will be a relatively shorter article as compared to the USS Reliant article, I am pleased by the fact that I at least get to still do some comparisons.


As you can see from my picture, I currently own an Eaglemoss, a Furuta and a Micro Machine version of this ship.

Actually, my MircoMachines variant is in fact a Heroclix, but since they are the same size, it goes well with my MicroMachine fleet.

 

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

When I got into collecting and expanding my pre-built and pre-painted small scale starships collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various models available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.

So now I present to you what I like to call "the gravy shot", a series of pictures I wished I had seen long ago, and the main reason I started this blog.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

Furuta vs. Eaglemoss 

 
Furuta vs. Eaglemoss

As you can see, the Eaglemoss ship is a bit bigger.  there are some other subtle differences between the two models and we'll cover those further in to this article.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

Let me first get into the two negative points about the ship.


The first issue that I'm going to talk about was not initially noticed by me as it is very subtle.

I do confess that I read a couple other people's reviews and takes take on the Eaglemoss' models.  this allows me to get a feel for whether I missed something or to see if my model has something out of the ordinary.

And I'm glad I did as I would have felt dumb had someone else pointed this out to me.

On the front of the ship, they made a slight typo in the ship's name.  They have renamed the ship to EQUINDX.  The other areas of the ship where the name appears are fine.


The other issue I was able to find, was that on the port side of the ship where the primary and secondary hulls meet, the seam and join work on my model is a bit off.  Luckily it's not noticeable unless you are checking over the entire ship.

other than those two minor issues, Eaglemoss has yet again produced a beautiful model.

The sculpting and molding give the ships TONS on little details like phaser strips, windows and escape pod hatches.


The phenomenal paint job really stands out on this one.  Although there is no aztecing, the attention to the little details, like the escape pods, windows and phaser strips is really nice.  I'll be honest, the paint job on this makes it one of my more favorite Eaglemoss ships.


One really nice note about the paint job and attention to details is that on the bottom of the saucer section, they made it quite clear where the the Orbital Shuttle, known as the Waverider  was located.

And it looks like we have a ship I can bring back the deflector dish part of my reviews as well.  Oh wait, this ship has two of them!

Anytime I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.

 


I don't always trust the magazine that comes with the model as they sometimes don't hold true to the on screen model.  I did some Google searching and it looks to me like Eaglemoss did a very good job recreating the deflector dishes for this ship.

Furuta

 
 
 
 

Furuta is the only other company to have produced a finished ship.  

I always point the following out for my first time readers that Furuta is a Japanese company that produced a series of gashapon toys.  Gashapon toys are meant to be nothing more than cheap little $1 to $5 bubble gum machine prizes.  I like to remind my readers of this fact so that they can take any critical reviews I may make in the spirit it is given.  I am in no way expecting these toys to be on the level of a Hallmark, Eaglemoss or Hot wheels toy.  I found a neat video about these types of toys and you can check that out at THIS LINK

That being said, this model is actually very detailed for what it is.

All the major components are represented in some way either by molded plastic or painted on details.

The only real eye catching issue with the top side of the ship is the sensor dish on the saucer section.  As you will see in the pictures below, they took a very lazy approach to representing this part of the ship.

Every time I look at the bottom of this model, I always stop and have to do a double-take.  There is just something off with the section surrounding the deflector dish.  I know this was a cheap little toy, but I think they could have been a little sharper with the edging.


From this angle, you can see what I mean about the edging.  Although thier coloring is inaccurate on the main deflector dish, it still is a good representation of one with the molding and color placement. 


 As stated earlier, I didn't like what they did with the secondary deflector dish.  Unfortunately, it doesn't even look like a dish, more of a sensor pallet.

Conclusion

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  Which brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $25
Furuta = $42
Micro Machine = $26

And this is the part of my article where where if you ask me what model gives you the "Best Bang For The Buck", I would have to say that Eaglemoss wins this one hands down.  For the price, you are truly getting a superb model, with very excellent details for your collection.

And interesting side note that doesn't affect my judgement except in solidifying that Eaglemoss is the cheaper buy, is that at the time of the writing of this article back in January 2015, the Furuta model was only going for around $28.  It is a fan favorite of a ship so I can understand the value going up.  I was even more surprised that the Eaglemoss one didn't go up in price though.

Anyway, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Furuta     MicroMachine     

No comments:

Post a Comment