Thursday, August 30, 2018

EMvTW 130: Borg Probe ("Coffin" Ship)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

The next two models from Eaglemoss came to the U.S. Webstore like an early Christmas gift, so I ordered them and was very happy to see that they came with thier magazines as well.

The first of the two models is the Borg Probe, which is also known as the "Coffin" ship because of it's unique shape.  This ship appears in the Star Trek Voyager episode called "Dark Frontier".  It also supposedly is in the The Next Generation Episode called "I, Borg", however, it is totaled on the planet so we don't see much of it.


My collection of this type of ship consists of the Eaglemoss model, and a 1:1400 scale Resin Modeler model that I built and painted sometime ago.  While I don't normally do comparisons of my pre-built and pre-pained fleet with models that I have personally built, this was one of those opportunities to really give you a size comparison.

As a side note, my children have nicknamed this ship "The Turd" as they feel that it looks like one.  😅


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Borg probe was a type of manned probe starship used by the Borg Collective in the 24th century. The craft had an elongated shape. It was armed with beam weapons that made it an equal match to a Starfleet Intrepid-class starship in terms of firepower. In addition to a crew of Borg drones, the ship was also equipped with robotic auto-regeneration units. The probe had transwarp drive capability with the use of transwarp coils."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Borg Probe ("Coffin" Ship) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Memory Beta has the ship classified as a Borg Interceptor.

My first picture doesn't really give you an actual sense of size, so here is what I like to call the "Gravy Shot" set of pictures.

 Eaglemoss vs. Resin Modeler

I'm not sure why I felt it necessary to give you a top and bottom view.  If you ignore the random splotches of green paint, they pretty much look the same from either angle.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

Before I get into the actual review of the Eaglemoss model, I have to share that the magazine made me laugh at the section where Eaglemoss points out the various parts of the ship.  I hate to say it, but everything looks the same to me.  Eaglemoss could have just as easily pointed out the waste dump portal (toilet water ejection) and I would have to believe them.  😀

The mold work is crisp and clear across the entire model.  Because the model feels like it is made up of all plastic, there is no sign of E.M.M.S. (definition at end of article).  Unlike most of my other reviews, this one won't have as many pictures.  The molded details are very repetitive on the top and bottom, front and back and sides of the ship.


The Eaglemoss model is super light weight because of this plastic construction, unlike her Resin Modeler cousin which was almost a solid piece of resin that was cut into four sections.

The paint work on the Eaglemoss model is far better than on thier Assimilated Arctic One model.  You can see that model and review at THIS LINK.  What really works for this model is that besides the expected all black paint job, and the neon green splotches, Eaglemoss also threw in some silver highlights for good measure.  The model's paint job really stands out in the light, and in my opinion, looks far better than the model I painted.


The joins and seams blend in perfectly with the center-line of the ship.  While you definitely find where the ship was put together, it just looks like part of the overall design of the vessel.


And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (August 2018).

Eaglemoss = $35

NOTE: Prices were researched last on August 30th, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, you can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

I have sated quite a bit in past articles, that when I have bought the Standard Line of Eaglemoss models from eBay, I typically feel comfortable paying around $25 to $30 per ship.  Right now, the eBay price is way higher than my comfort zone, and that is probably because there are no U.S.based sellers right now that have the model in stock.  Which is why I am glad that you can order it direct from Eaglemoss themselves.

I say all that because you are probably asking, is it worth the money?  I'll be honest, the model is a little on the smaller side.  And it feels very light-weight which immediately makes you think it is not built as nice.  HOWEVER, it is in my opinion, one of the better made Borg models from the Eaglemoss collection.  I just would not want to pay more than $30 for it.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

As I shared at the beginning, I had at one time purchased, built and painted a 1:1400 scale Borg Probe from Resin Modeler, which is located in the U.K.


Rather than rehash the same old stuff, feel free to go read my review and build process of that model at THIS LINK.




As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Definitions
EMMS = Eaglemoss Melted Marshmallow Syndrome.  This is best described as a softening of details where they appear more rounded, less edgy and a bit out of focus.  Sort of what happens to a marshmallow as you heat it up to it's melting point on a camp fire.

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Comparative Shots

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment