Monday, August 27, 2018

EMvTW 128: OV-165

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Oh Eaglemoss, you hinder me yet again... 😭  While this model and the accompanying model for this month were both available on time at the US Webstore, for some reason, thier magazines were not shipped at the same time and have been listed as being on back-order.  If you have been following my writings, you will know that I use those magazines as references to see how accurate the model is.  I guess that once again, I will be forced to turn to the internet, and sadly, there is little to no good reference material in the form of pictures out there on this ship.

Our next review is an interesting one.  It only appears on screen during the opening credits for Star Trek: Enterprise.  I am of course referring to that space shuttle like starship, the OV-165.


This is not the first time Eaglemoss has brought us an opening credits starship.  Just four issues ago, Eaglemoss gave us the SS Emmette.  You can read my review of that model a THIS LINK.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "OV-165 was an orbital vehicle, a type of space shuttle, used by the inhabitants of Earth in the first half of the 21st century."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

OV-165 Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

I was initially excited about the model coming out.  Eaglemoss was continuing to bring us even more new content.  As you will soon see though, a certain area of the model has me a bit perplexed.

The sculpt and mold work is simple, yet effective across the top of the model.  There are minimal panel lines, but there is enough other little details molded into the top to keep it interesting.  The rear engine housing is nicely done with stealth like appearance back there.


The fins and wings are well attached and aligned nicely.

The bottom of the model is where my big issue with the model occurs.  There is NO details what-so-ever.  Maybe I'm just going ff my knowledge of the primitive Space shuttles I grew up with, but this thing has no heat shield lines, nor are there any landing gear hatch panels.  It is just smooth.


The paint work is nicely done with a slight paneling effect going on across the top half of the ship.


The ship registry and red swoosh do nicely at breaking up the monotony of the black and white theme.  I would have gone with a different color for the cockpit windows, as they sort of blend in to the black of the nose and underside of the shuttle.  Perhaps a dark grey would have served nicely in differentiating those windows.


And once again, the bottom is just a straight black canvas of nothingness, with no other details painted down there.  Notice how it just blended in with the  black background of my photo-booth in the lower right?


Now, in Eaglemoss' defense, we never get to see the bottom of the ship on screen, and without the magazine for reference pictures, I can not speak to the accuracy of the bottom of the Eaglemoss model.

The joins and seams are well blended into the underside of the ship though giving us a well put together model.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (August 2018).

Eaglemoss = $30

NOTE: Prices were researched last on August 27th, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, you can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

We now come to the part of my article where I like to give you my opinion of whether this model is worth the money.  In all honesty, I was a little UNDERwhelmed after receiving my model.  And I wasn't disappointed because of the lack of magazine either.  The bottom of the model just shouts "LAZY!" to me and because of that, I really would not recommend paying more than the $23 that Eaglemoss wants, and even then, I'm having a hard time justifying it's value at that cost too.  Don't get me wrong, it is not a terrible model, but to quote Jim Carrey in "Liar, Liar"... "I've had better."


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment