Tuesday, August 28, 2018

EMvTW 129: Tholian Starship (23rd Century) (AKA Spinner Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

As I stated in my last article, on the OV-165, Eaglemoss chose to back-order my magazines, so I will be winging it and utilizing outside sources for my model referencing.

This next article is going to cover the 23rd Century Tholian Starship.


We first encounter this type of starship in Star Trek: The Original Series episode called "The Tholian Web".

This is not the first Tholian starship that Eaglemoss has brought to us, though.  In fact, the previous Tholian model was of an earlier design of the same type of ship.  You can check out my review of the 22nd Century Tholian Starship at THIS LINK.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "Tholian ships were small starships of characteristic shape, utilized by the Tholian Assembly during the 23rd century. These vessels were armed with plasma torpedo-like torpedo weaponry. But their most powerful weapon was the so-called "Tholian web". This web was "woven" by two or more Tholian vessels around an enemy ship. This web could be used as a high power immobilization field/tractor beam to pull captured starships back to Tholian territory."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Tholian Starship (23rd Century) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

According to Memory Beta, these types of ships are also called Spinner Class starships.

The ship that Eaglemoss is bringing us IS NOT what first showed up on screen back in 1968, and instead, they have made the remastered version of the ship from the 2006 re-release of the series.

1968 Filming Model
Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

2006 CGI Model
Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

What is nice about the Eaglemoss series is that they have reached a point where they can give us two different eras of a starship design.  this in turn allows me to fluff my articles a bit by giving my readers some tasty comparison information.  It's been a while since I could say it, so here are some "Gravy Shots" for your viewing pleasure.

 23rd Century vs. 22nd Century

As you can see, the 23rd century model is a bit shorter.  While this model did receive a re-mastering, the designers tried to still keep it somewhat true to the original model, hence the fact that it still seems less ornate than her earlier counterpart.  My problem with this though is that the "older" ship comes off looking more intricate and high-tech.  That is not Eaglemoss' fault, but rather an issue with the show's model designers.

The sculpt and mold work is very simplistic on the new Tholian ship.  There are very few "extras" that have been added into the model.  This is very reminiscent of the 60's era starship designs for the show.  Unfortunately, I think Eaglemoss went too simplistic.  When you compare the picture I have "borrowed" from Memory Alpha, the on-screen model seems to have more panel lines to it,


 

The paint work is just as simplistic too.  If it were not for the clear plastics, the model would be a bore to look at.  While Eaglemoss tried to give the model a weathered look, the pain they chose, under the right light conditions, ends up looking bright and shiny, like a new coin.



At least with this model, it is easier to know which side is down, because the bottom is completely devoid of any molded details.


The web emitter on the rear of the ship could have benefited from some sort of paint so that it just didn't come off as a recess on the back of the ship.

The translucent plastics were a must considering the older model had them too, however, given the colorful nature of that older model, this one comes off looking a little bland.


 

The joins and seams have been expertly placed to just appear as natural lines in the ship.  The simplistic shape of the ship worked towards Eaglemoss' advantage on this.

Sadly, the new model doesn't measure up to the looks of its predecessor.  And I'm not faulting Eaglemoss with this either.  Perhaps the Tholians prefer function over fashion and cut back on the "flair" when they "upgraded" the webspinner for the 23rd century?

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (August 2018).

Eaglemoss = $33

NOTE: Prices were researched last on August 28th, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, you can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

We now come to the part of my article where I give you my opinion on whether this model is a good buy for the money.  I'll start off by saying that I am typically comfortable paying $25 to $30 on eBay for a Standard Sized Eaglemoss model.  And in saying that, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable even paying the $25 for this one.

I don't say that because I think it's a bad model.  Eaglemoss did a good job with the source material.  At least, I have to assume that since I didn't get my magazine to compare noes with.  I say that because the WOW factor has simply gone home on this one, especially when I measure it up next to the 22nd Century model.

However, if you are a completionist collector and already have the 22nd century model, then this one is a must.  How can you turn down the chance to have this on your display shelf?


And, if you are perhaps a die hard TOS Trekkie and HAVE to have all the original series ships, then I can see where it would be a good buy as well.

So in closing... I don't love the model... but I also don't hate it.  😀


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Comparative Pictures

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment