Tuesday, January 27, 2015

EMvTW 21 - USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E (Sovereign class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (March 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Welcome to the 21st article of my Eaglemoss vs. The World series.  I use these articles to provide a comparison of Eaglemoss ships to other small scale manufactured models.  When I first started collecting small scale starships, I always wished for a resource that would show me how different manufacturers ships compared to others of the same classification.  Now that I've amassed a bunch of models, I figured I would share my comparisons and my thoughts on those different models.

This article is going to focus on the USS Enterprise E.


My current collection consists of an Eaglemoss, a Furuta, and Hallmark and a MicroMachine model.  It has been a while since I had a Hallmark model in these reviews so this will be a nice addition to the series.

Since I have been sharing some quick close-ups of the MicroMachine models in my collection, I'll do the same for this ship as well.

 

There is something off with the MicroMachine representation of the Sovereign class.  Not to mention, the Galoob rubber causes my nacelles to be warped (no pun intended).  The ship just looks a bit odd to me. 

This is also one of the more rare MicroMachine models and thus is rather expensive.  

And that ia all I'm going to say on that model, let's move on.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta vs. Hallmark

As is usual with my articles, I will now give you the "gravy shot" which will give you a side by side size comparison of all three of the ships.  These pictures alone are why I write these articles.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta vs. Hallmark 

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta vs. Hallmark 

Hallmark comes out as the largest of the three ships, with Eaglemoss coming in second, to be followed by Furuta's ship.  From a detailing perspective, all three have thier own charms.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best ever, Eaglemoss scores an eleven on this model.  I could not find anything wrong with my model.  I even went online and checked out other people's reviews and they all pretty much are of the same mindset, this is one great model.  

The sculpted and molded in details and the painted on details compliment each other in a superb way,   There is an aztecing pattern both on the top and bottom of the ship, but it doesn't overwhelm the look of the other fine details. Some of those other painted details include light and dark panels, lots of windows and escape hatches and includes the important parts like the phaser strips.  They even gave some painting detail to the captain's yacht on the bottom of the saucer section.

All of this painted on details helps distract your eyes and hides the join seams very well.

They went all out on this model with thier use of the molded clear plastics.  Besides the blue nacelle grids, they chose to use red for the ramscoops as well as the impulse engines.  But wait there is more!  Flip her over and they even used some orange plastic for the deflector dish.

For those familiar with this series of articles from me, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of the Starfleet ship's deflector dish.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.


The orange plastic was not cut so evenly on my model, giving the deflector dish a bot of a messy look when viewed up close and personal like.  That being said though, it is still a better deflector dish than other what we have seen on other Starfleet vessels from Eaglemoss.

I'm going to guess that with all the backlash Eaglemoss received for it's Constitution Class Refit, they decided that they needed to explode the WOW Factor all over us with this Enterprise.

Furuta

 
 
 
 

I always like to point the following out for my first time readers.  Furuta is a Japanese company that produced a series of gashapon toys.  Gashapon toys are meant to be nothing more than cheap little $1 to $5 bubble gum machine prizes.  I like to remind my readers of this fact so that they can take any critical reviews I may make in the spirit it is given.  I am in no way expecting these toys to be on the level of a Hallmark, Eaglemoss or Hot wheels toy.  I found a neat video about these types of toys and you can check that out at THIS LINK.

Furuta actually did an OK job on the ship.  The molded on details were good, but the painted on details needed some work.  

Right off the bat, looking at the top side, the registry number on my model is messed up because the "E" is printed onto a seam.  They tried to bring out some details by painting the escape pods.  I think they could have painted less of these and added a smidgen of paint to the bridge.  The saucer is also missing the rear set of RCS thrusters.  In other areas of the saucer, the paint just plain looks smudged.  And, I almost missed this until I had started looking at the Hallmark ornament, but the phaser strips, although have been molded on, are not painted which means, they just blend in with the rest of the model.

The bottom side of the ship pretty much holds par with the top side.  The saucer is completely missing the RCS thrusters down here.  And certain areas still bear the smudge effect.  and there is still that lack of painted on phaser strips.


And that brings us to the close-up of the deflector dish.  All I can say is "Yuck!".  Apparently. the Furuta model is an outy while everyone else's model is an inny.  And the paint is weird too.  I can't give this part any more justice by talking about it any more.  Time to move on.

Hallmark

 
 
 
 

Although Hallmark's model is not as detailed paint wise as Eaglemoss' model. the Hallmark ornament still holds it's own.  

And, as long as you don't cut the wires off like I did, and can still find a light strand that will power the ornament, it also lights up.


Looking at the top side of the model, Hallmark made sure to paint all the major components so that they stood out.  I think the model would have really benefited with a couple of the windows painted in too, but this usually is rather difficult to do for mass produced works.  

The bottom pretty much holds to this painting formula.  


Of the three manufacturers models, I really like Hallmark's deflector dish the best.  The molded in details are great when the model is powered both on and off.  The golden color is a nice touch that allows this part of the ship to stand out even when you are not powered on.  When the model is powered, it of course glows as well.

Overall, Hallmark did a good job with thier rendition of this ship.  I really don't have any major complaints about it.

Conclusion

And that wraps it up for the comparison and review part of my article.  Which brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $27
Furuta = $30
Hallmark = $18
Micro Machine = $66

My articles always conclude with me giving you my opinion of which model would give you the "best bang for the buck", which is my rough way of telling you which one is the best buy.  Although it is not the lest expensive, Eaglemoss' attention to the details makes this ship worth every penny.  You won't be disappointed if you add thier model to your fleet.

Anyway, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment