Friday, November 21, 2014

D-7 & K'Tinga Class Variants

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Now that I have finished my Eaglemoss vs. The World article on the K'Tinga Class Battlecruiser, I decided to share some of my kitbash work that share an ancestry with that ship classification.

The K-Tinga Class is the direct descendant of the D-7 Battlecruiser, hence the reason they look a lot alike.

Since I like kitbashing in 1:2500 scale, I have purchased a lot of AMT Round 2 3-Ship sets over the last two years.  And because of this, I ended up with a lot of D-7 and K-Tinga kits in my stash.  I eventually found some source material that gave me some ideas on what to do with those kits.

While doing some reading about the D-7 design history, I came across a Matt Jeffries set of drawings on Memory Alpha of his different concepts for what this ship was going to look like.


This gave me the idea to try to build a couple of these concept drawings and make them into "real" ships.  The reality is, I could have used either the D-7 or the K'Tinga kits for these builds due to the similar body, neck and head structure.

K't'inga Variant (Buzzard)

 
 
 
 

I'm not the first to build this style of ship. I've seen at least two other instances of people building larger scale versions of it. I was originally going to call it a Condor as it looks like it's wings are stretched out real far. But something about this design just doesn't feel good to me. She looks clumsy to me. So I opted to save Condor for another day and went with the Buzzard variant.

D-7 Variant (Eagle)

 
 
 
 

I decided to call her the Eagle variant because it looked like she had wings spread out to soar on the wind.

K't'inga Variant (Falcon)

 
 
 
 

I didn't like the original design with the nacelles resting right on the ship's body so I opted to raise them up.  In hindsight, I could have used slightly shorter struts to achieve this.  I decided to call this one the Falcon variant because it looked fast like a falcon.  As I go over the article again over a year later, I am kind of reminded of the USAF S-71 Blackbird.


D-7 Variant (Osprey)

 
 
 
 

This design was not a Matt Jeffries design.  I had seen Oliver Meichau build a larger version of this ship on the Star Trek Modeler Group page and decided to add one to my small scale fleet.

I call her the Osprey variant because it looks like the wings are tucked back onto the body, much the same way and osprey does when it is diving,

C-8 Dreadnought

 
 
 
 

Around the time of the FASA role playing game, a Starfleet dreadnought was imagined and called the Federation Class.  This large ship looked like a Constitution class, but was larger and featured a third nacelle mounted over the impulse drive section.


Of course, in that universe, the Klingons were not to be outdone and made thier own Dreadnought called the C-8 class.  I only had a 1:2500 kit so that's what I used for my model, however, this ship was a lot larger than the K'Tinga so I am unsure what my actual scale would be for this model.  

Emperor Class

 
 
 
 

I have an interesting story behind this ship. 

After building my small scale Praetorius class (designed by Phil Giunta) ship for Starfleet, I thought, "Hey, what if the Klingons built a similar ship?" 



I then proceeded to build this "new idea" thinking I had come up with a unique design. Then, as I got more information on the Klingon D-7 and K-Tinga class ships, I learned that Matt Jeffries had actually considered this design when he was first creating a Klingon ship. 


I then further learned that another builder name David Wetmore from the Star Trek Modelers Group had also built a similar design. I guess great minds really do think alike. I ended up using his class name for the ship classification as it just sounded cool.


I would imagine that this might serve as a replacement ship for an aging C-8 fleet given the added firepower.  I would also imaging that she would probably e a large as a C-8, thus making my model not an actual 1:2500 scale kit.

And that wraps it up for this fun little article about my D-7/K'Tinga variants.  As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment