Friday, November 21, 2014

D-7 & K'Tinga Class Variants

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Now that I have finished my Eaglemoss vs. The World article on the K'Tinga Class Battlecruiser (Read that article at THIS LINK.), I decided to share some of my kitbash work that share an ancestry with that ship classification.

As an extra bonus, Eaglemoss eventually produced the D-7 class battle cruiser and you can read my review of the model at THIS LINK.

The K-Tinga Class is the direct descendant of the D-7 Battlecruiser, hence the reason they look a lot alike.

Since I like kitbashing in 1:2500 scale, I have purchased a lot of AMT Round 2 3-Ship sets over the last two years.  And because of this, I ended up with a lot of D-7 and K-Tinga kits in my stash.  I eventually found some source material that gave me some ideas on what to do with those kits.

While doing some reading about the D-7 design history, I came across a Matt Jeffries set of drawings on Memory Alpha of his different concepts for what this ship was going to look like.


This gave me the idea to try to build a couple of these concept drawings and make them into "real" ships.  The reality is, I could have used either the D-7 or the K'Tinga kits for these builds due to the similar body, neck and head structure.



Buzzard Class
K't'inga Variant
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

I know that I'm not the first to build this style of ship. I've seen at least two other instances of people building larger scale versions of it. I was originally going to call it a Condor Class as it looks like it's wings are stretched out real far. But something about this design just doesn't feel good and in the end, I felt that she just sort of looked clumsy.  So I opted to save the Condor name for another day and went with the Buzzard Class variant instead.


Eagle Class
D-7 Variant
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

I decided to call this class the Eagle class variant because it looked like the ship had wings spread out to soar on the wind.


Falcon Class
K't'inga Variant
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

I called this variant the Falcon Class because it looked fast, just like a falcon.  In fact, she sort of has that USAF S-71 Blackbird look to her.  I didn't like the original design with the nacelles resting right on the ship's body so I opted to raise them up.  In hindsight, I could have used slightly shorter struts to achieve this.  I decided to call this one the Falcon variant because it looked fast like a falcon. 



Osprey Class
D-7 Variant
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

This design was not a Matt Jeffries design.  I had seen Oliver Meichau build a larger version of this ship on the Star Trek Modeler Group FaceBook page and decided to add one to my small scale fleet.

I decided to call her an Osprey Class variant because it looks like the wings are tucked back onto the body, much the same way and osprey does when it is diving.


I also gave my Osprey some "talons" in the form of some wing tip mounted disruptor cannons.



C-8 Dreadnought
Unknown Scale AMT Kitbash

 

I spent many a minutes debating how to address this ship within this article.  Although it looks like it is built upon the D-7 or K'Tinga space frame, it is in fact a much larger ship.  It sort of falls in the category covered by the article, but it also doesn't.  Since I had enough materials to warrant creating a whole separate short article I have decided that instead of duplicating all the information from that article a second time here, I'll just supply THIS LINK so that you can go read up more on the ship.




VoDleH class 
(AKA Emperor Class) 
Unknown Scale AMT Kitbash

 

I'm basically going to copy/paste what I said about the C-8 Class here as well...

I spent many a minutes debating how to address this ship within this article.  Although it looks like it is built upon the D-7 or K'Tinga space frame, it is in fact a much larger ship.  It sort of falls in the category covered by the article, but it also doesn't.  Since I had enough materials to warrant creating a whole separate short article I have decided that instead of duplicating all the information from that article a second time here, I'll just supply THIS LINK so that you can go read up more on the ship.


And that is all I have to share so far of my adventures into kitbashing the heck out of my extra D-7 and K-Tinga models.  Maybe someday, I'll get some more ideas and try to build some more.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment