Saturday, November 13, 2021

EMvTW Extra 28 - USS Newton NCC-1727 (Newton Type)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: None

The third and final (for now) model in the mini series of Star Trek (2009) fleet of ships is the USS Newton (NCC-1727).  I particularly like this ship because it breaks the mold of the traditional designs.  This ship also inspired me to create a kitbash and we'll talk more about that at the end of this article.


We first get to see this starship in the movie, "Star Trek (2009)".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The USS Newton (NCC-1727) was a 23rd century Federation Newton-type starship operated by Starfleet.  In 2258, the Newton was docked at Starbase 1 at the time Vulcan came under attack by Nero. Several graduates of Starfleet Academy were assigned to this ship in the scramble to get a fleet to Vulcan. Upon its arrival at Vulcan, the Newton was immediately destroyed by the Narada in the Battle of Vulcan, along with a number of other starships."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

USS Newton (NCC-1727) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
Newton Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

I have already mentioned the magazine size difference in my first of these three articles.  I also shared a solution to the problem there, so rather than rehash all of that,  go read my article about the USS Armstrong (NCC-1769) you can do so, at THIS LINK if you have not already done so.

I like the fact that some of the sources I mentioned above consider this vessel a battleship of its time.  It makes sense to me considering the rollbar and double secondary hull configuration.  There tends to be a lot of nay-saying when people look at a double-hull, but in my opinion, if the model creator (or engineer) can explain a valid reason, then anything is possible.

 
 
 
 

When the three Battle Of Vulcan ships were first advertised by Eaglemoss, I raised an eyebrow at the color scheme of them.


I really thought there was something wrong with the color choice, after all, Starfleet ships are supposed to be white.  However, the magazines and Memory Alpha set me straight.  The paint color on the models is screen accurate and is described as being brown.  These ships were intentionally colored this way to have them stand out as being older than the hero ship. 

The overall paint scheme for the model is a darker silver, with bits of grey and black speckled in to give the ship a worn and dirty appearance.  There is a tiny hint of brown as well, which helps give the look of some rust spots on the ship.  The effect works and you can tell you have an older ship in your hands.

The rest of the paint work is nicely done too.  The ship's registry information is clear and easy to read.  Phaser banks have been painted to help them stand out.  As was the case with the other two ships in this miniseries, the RCS thrusters are painted in on the top of the saucer, but not the bottom.  Tiny porthole windows have been dabbed onto the model and the pinstriping seems to be straight.


The impulse engines have been painted in the customary red, however, it seems that my model is having some engineering issues with one of the engine exhausts not being painted in completely.


The sculpt and mold work on the model is really well done with all the tactile details being crisp and easy to make out.  Unlike the other two models, the join seam blends in very well on this model.


This ship has a weapons/sensor rollbar spanning between the nacelles.  The etching on it is clean and it bears some tiny painted areas which gives it a little bit on necessary color.

 

The nacelles are on par with the other two models as well, with these baring a closer resemblance to the ones on the USS Mayflower.  

Nacelle Closeup: Exterior View

Nacelle Closeup: Interior View

I was delighted to see that Eaglemoss kept all three ship's nacelles looking almost alike.  There are clear blue plastics to represent the glowing exhaust ports on the nacelles, and the bussard collectors are plastic with painted details.

 

Here is something I haven't wrote in a while...

For those familiar with this series of articles from me, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of the Starfleet ship's deflector dish.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.

This model actually has two deflector dishes.  The dishes look nice with the mold work and blue and tan paint.  Although when I zoom in this close, I can see that there is some issues with the join seam where the secondary hull pieces together.  


And that is all the pictures of this model that I have to share at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of looking up pricing on eBay and finding the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices at the time of this article's writing.  Prices were researched last on November 12th, 2021, and as of the writing of this article, I was able to find the model from a non-US based seller for around $65 (shipping included).  That's crazy, especially since you can currently order the model right from Eaglemoss' US WebStore for around $30 (shipping unknown).

While I liked this model the most of the three ships from Star Trek (2009), I didn't like it to want to pay $65 for it.  That's OK though, since Eaglemoss is selling it direct to us, I can like it for a lot less money.  It may be because I'm partial to kitbashes, or the fact that this ship is the predecessor of my design, but I can not help favoring this ship.  In the end though, the quality is decent for a $30 model and you end up with an interesting looking vessel in your fleet.  So it should be no surprise for you to hear that I recommend this one for your collection.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

The USS Newton (NCC-1727) brings this mini collection to a close.  Here are the three models on display together.


Pictured here is the USS Armstrong (NCC-1769) (REVIEW LINK) and the USS Mayflower (NCC-1621) (REVIEW LINK). 



Spartan Class

This ship is probably one of my most favorite builds and makes me the most proud.  It started as an idea I got after watching Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar and just started flowing from that idea.  At one point, I even got the Star Trek Modelers Group involved in helping me with some of the design ideas.

The concept was to build a heavy rescue vessel that was capable of going into dangerous situations and extract personnel from those situations.

I have written up a whole article about the history of this ship both from an "in universe" angle as well as a "real world" angle.  You can read more about this ship by following THIS LINK.

 




As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment