Friday, October 27, 2017

EMvTW 83: Bajoran Troop Transport/Interceptor (Perikian class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Next in line for my Eaglemoss vs. The World series is the Bajoran Troop Transport.  This ship confused me when I first saw pictures of it and saw it in action in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  At first glance, she looks like a relatively small ship, maybe shuttle or fighter sized.  Those cockpit windows are what throws me off.  But apparently, this thing can hold up to 200 troops in it, so that makes it a bit bigger than my initial estimation


According to this Memory Beta LINK, this type of vessel is classified as a Perikian class.  Furthermore, this Memory Alpha LINK tells us that they "were sublight interceptors used by the Bajoran Militia, that were lightly armed with two phaser emitters. The vessels also had towing facilities."  They were rather heavily used and seen in orbit around Bajor.




This model marks the third Bajoran ship that Eaglemoss has brought us.  It sounds like there is one more in the works as well (a Bajoran Freighter).


On the left side of the above picture, you have the Bajoran Solar Sailor (here's my REVIEW LINK), followed by the Bajoran Sub-Impulse Fighter (here's my REVIEW LINK) in the middle, and lastly, the newest edition, the Bajoran Troop Transport.

I have to say, at first glance while she sat in her box, I wasn't feeling much of anything about this model.  But then I un-packaged it and was proceeded to be really impressed.

 
 
 
 

As I held her in my hands and gazed upon the wonderment, my initial response was, "WOW!  Look at that detailing!"   Which was immediately followed with this response, "YIKES!  Look at those seams!"

When you take a look at the next two "close-up" pictures of the top and the bottom of the model, you will see what I mean in regards to the joins and seams.  For me, they were very noticeable on this model both while looking at the top (that whole box section that extended from the air scoops) as well as the bottom (making it look like a clothes iron).  


Once I got past those seams, I couldn't help but feel that the sculpted and molded details are fantastic!  Even the metal work is crisp and clear which is usually not the case for Eaglemoss models.   What ended up wowing me was when I flipped the model over and saw all that greeble work underneath.


As an added bonus, Eaglemoss tried something different.  I really liked that the engine intake cowls are hollow rather than just blacked out.


The paint job is what helps make this a superb model.  Eaglemoss used enough off colors painted on the various components to make the ship vibrant and this makes it stand out from the other Bajoran ships in the collection.


The thing that made me really love this model was all of that exposed machinery that is painted in striking gold on the bottom of the vessel.  This took what would have been a very plain bottom of the ship, and turned the view into an amazing surprise.


The only glaring issues, besides the joins and seams, was the fact that the impulse engines are not represented with any sort of paint.  The model would have been super awesome had it had some sort of weathering done, which would really bring home the working nature of these ships.


Besides the seams and the impulse engine issues, I really do think the rest of the ship looks fantastic, so I'm willing to let those issues slide.  At the time I am writing this article, you can get the model from eBay for around $29 (shipping included).  Given how the prices of the standard models have gone up a bit over the last year, I'm willing to say that I still think that this is a fair price for what you are getting, which is a good, solid, and very detailed Bajoran ship that looks great in my collection and would probably look good in yours as well.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

1 comment:

  1. I'm more than a little disappointed in that rear end, they could have gone with the version from the physical model, but went with the CGI instead.

    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/bajorans1.htm

    ReplyDelete