Thursday, October 5, 2017

EMvTW 80: Federation Mission Scoutship (Venture Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

I have to say, Federation Mission Scoutship is quite a mouthful to say.  The Eaglemoss model of this ship is also quite a handful.  She's large and rather on the weighty side.





We are introduced briefly to this ship in Star Trek: Insurrection and as you can see from the picture below, she is a bit bigger than the average shuttle.


From my readings of this type of ship on both Memory Alpha and Memory Beta (clicking on those links will take you to those articles), she served as a more agile and powerful runabout.  According to Memory Beta, the ship was given the classification of Venture Class, which I like WAY better than Federation Mission blah blah blah.  😊

Let us take a closer look at Eaglemoss' model, which to my knowledge is the only model of this ship that comes in the pre-built and pre-painted format.

 
 
 
 

My fellow reviewers had mixed emotions about this model.  Some loved it, some thought it was just "meh".

The molding and sculpting on this model are really well done, with nice crisp edging where it needs to be, and sleek curves in thier proper places as well.  The model is covered with lots of panel lines and Eaglemoss even managed to include the oh so important to the story's plot, the docking hatches both on the top as well as the bottom of thier ship.
 

The complaints that I had read about the model involved the paint job, or the overall blandness of the model.  I'm not really sure why they complained about this.  I did some Google searches for pictures of the ship, and in the end, I wonder what they were expecting.  Only one picture showed the ship with aztec details, and even then, they were super light.  I think had Eaglemoss went with aztecing, it would have over burdened the overall appearance of the model.  Eaglemoss did paint the windows, impulse engines and exhaust ports, as well as included some pin-striping and registry decals.  Personally, I think they did great on the paint job.


The only use of clear red plastics is for the ram scoops that are hidden within the fronts of the wings.


 The joins and seams are pretty well done, however, they are noticeable on the wing tips and the very rear of the model.  Other than that, they are either well hidden, or blended well with the overall design.

Whenever I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.


This is where I will agree with my fellow reviewers that the paint job has an issue and is a bit disapointing.  Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

And there you have it.  I found it to be a great looking model that was well executed by Eaglemoss.  At around $34 (shipping included) at the time of the writing of this article, I would definately buy it again to add to my collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites, mostly for the awesome ship design, but I do have a small complaint about the paint, and it's that a few of the panels that we can see are darker colors (on the upper fuselage) in the movie still are just the same silver color, and a few of the panels that are a different color could be a little bit higher contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that cost of paint may have played a role in thier decision to keep it more uni-color. This is after all a rather large mode for thier standard issue stuff.

      Delete