Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Discovering Star Trek: Discovery? Probably Not.

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

And so it came to pass that CBS decided to create a new Star Trek series for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.  And with the coming of this new show, comes new merchandise, and potential new reviews.  Here is my feelings on all of this.


Star Trek: Discovery is the 6th series in the franchise and is set 10 years prior to The Original Series timeline.  Blah... blah... blah...

If you want to read more about it, go check out this Memory Alpha link.  The show can only be seen through CBS' All Access (LINK HERE) website and costs money to watch, unless you are resourceful enough to pirate it.  I don't endorse piracy, but I'll admit that that may be how others are watching it.


We are left with a rather amusing referencing name for the new series though.  We had TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT.  So now we have DIS?  Nope, that's short for Disney.  I guess we'll just have to call it STD.  LOL.  I'll look back on this era as the diseased Star Trek.

What we are basically paying for is a reboot of the franchise, yet again, with all sorts of new things to have to digest.  Lets's face it, the Klingons have changed yet again.

  
TOS Era                                        TMP Era

TNG Era

At least, thanks to Star Trek: Enterprise, we had a plausible explanation for the differences in looks.

But then came NuTrek and STD.  What the heck?  Why change the looks?  Its a bunch of these little annoying changes that ruin the experience for me.

 
NuTrek Era                                     STD Era

I'm not a big fan of the NuTrek movies.  I did enjoy Star Trek: Beyond, but otherwise, I questioned the logic of doing a reboot in the manner that they did.  The new series just seems to be riding on the coat-tails of the movies and from what I've read, has been all that inspiring enough to make me want to invest in seeing the show.


I write all of this, because Eaglemoss has jumped on the band-wagon and has announced that they will be producing a line of STD ship models in the same format as thier current line-up of Star Trek ships.

You can check out thier new program at THIS LINK.

When I first read this news, I thought, "Oh cool!  More star Trek models for my collection.  Even if I don't watch the series, I'll still have the models to enjoy."


I mean, just look at this battle scene from the first episode!  There are tons of models coming our way!!!

Eaglemoss has even teased us with the first two releases...



Now here is the GOTCHA!!!   CBS is pulling the dick move that Paramount pulled and is only allowing Eaglemoss to produced these ships in thier larger "Special Edition" size which also means... Special Edition prices!!!

The only price I have found so far is the pre-order price right on Eaglemoss' website.  And right now, they want $55 (plus shipping) for the Shenzhou.

As a collector and a reviewer, who is funding this whole Eaglemoss vs. The World project out of my own pocket, I have to draw the line somewhere.  I don't get a kick-back from Eaglemoss.  I don't use advertising on my blog because I hate banner ads.  So, it's my wallet that pays for these reviews.  Unless Eaglemoss is willing to send me free examples to work with, I simply can't afford to go down that dark path with them.  And honestly, I've had a hard time being impressed with thier Special Edition models.  In several cases, the quality versus the price made it hard to recommend thier models when they were pitted against other manufacturers.

Sooooo... it is with deep regrets (not really), that I am informing my readers that they should not be expecting any reviews of the STD models from me.

---Deepspace Pat

5 comments:

  1. Right there with you. Whatever my feelings may be about the new series (they're bad), I did actually find the new Starfleet designs interesting enough that I would probably have bought at least the Shenzou and Discovery, had they been released in the normal size, but for the large size, I just can't justify it. I guess it'll just be the Hallmark ornaments for the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I never even thought about Hallmark doing up STD models. Ugh. Well, they WILL be cheaper than the Eaglemoss ones. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Cheaper and smaller, they already released images of the Discovery ornament.

      I guess they practically have to, makes me wish they would start releasing 2 starships per year. What I wouldn't give for a Hallmark Excelsior...

      Delete
    3. Thanks for pointing that out. I just took a look.
      That ornament doesn't look to bad either. I agree with you on the number of releases. The one ship a year is why I got into collecting other manufacturers. Hallmark's size was perfect for my collecting tastes, but I grew ever impatient waiting for the next one to come out. and then we factor in the times that the re-released the Enterprise D (twice) and the TOS Enterprise (four times?) which just dragged out the waiting even more.

      Delete
  2. Put me in the same boat. I don't see cbs making anything off of me as I'm not a fan of the visuals, tone, politics, or the method of distribution. At least with the JJverse, I paid to see each movie in the theatres.

    ReplyDelete