Sunday, November 22, 2015

EMvTW 47: Klingon Negh'Var class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: June 2016 & January 2019

The last of my Eaglemoss vs. The World articles for this month will focus of the Klingon Negh'Var class vessel.  We first get to see one of these massive ships in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "All Good Things...".


As you can see, my collection of these ships is quite small and only consists of an Eaglemoss and MicroMachine model.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Negh'Var warship was the largest class of starship known to operate in the Klingon Empire during the late 24th century."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Negh'Var Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Some non-canon sources also called the future variant of this ship that was seen in the TNG episode by the class of Voodieh class.  You can read more at this Memory Beta LINK.

Galoob produced their own version of this ship for their MicroMachine line.  It was released as an "extra" in one of their big multi-ship packages.

 

I don't write these articles to look at such a small scale model as they are not my normal collecting forte, so that will be all I have to say about this model.

Since I have nothing else to compare to, let's jump right into looking at the Eaglemoss ship.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

The first thing I need to tell you is that it appears that Eaglemoss modeled their ship after the version of this vessel that appears in DeepSpace Nine rather than the futuristic one that we see in TNG's "All Good Things".

The next thing I want to point out is that you need to be careful about removing the ship from it's packaging.  It is REALLY nestled into that plastic pretty tight.  On mine, part of the rear engine housing was already snapped off, however some super glue fixed it right up.


At first glance, it appears that Eaglemoss did a fantastic job in sculpting molding in the details into the plastic and metal.  BUT, there are LOTS of issue and I'll go into this shortly.


And at first glance, their painting seems to be superb, showing off all sorts of details both on the top and bottom of the model.


Quite frankly, she is a rather colorful model, and I really liked the colors.  but upon closer inspection, the bottom seems to have smudges or slightly off skew painting where the painted details don't quite line up with the molded details.


I have to say though, this must of been the month of missing parts for Eaglemoss as they carried over their habit of missing components from the Enterprise C to this model.

For example, like the Enterprise C model, this ship is missing it's impulse engines!


The most glaring of issues with the model is the fact that there are incomplete areas.  What the heck is this?


I have never seen an Eaglemoss model that had areas of the ship that were incomplete or open like this.  I did some Internet searching to see if maybe my model was screwed up, but no, this is how they all are.

Also, the physical model that Eaglemoss gives you, doesn't quite match up with the pictures in the magazine.   If you read my last article about the Enterprise C, then tidbit this sounds horribly familiar.

The ram scoops on the leading edges of the wings are completely absent.  There is no molding, no paint, nothing.

The nacelles are wrong as well.  They should taper off at their ends, but instead are truncated and cut off.


The weapons platform on the aft end of the ship is the wrong shape and isn't decorated.

There are a couple other issues that don't match between the model and the magazine, however, I'm not going to go into a blow by blow description as I think you now get my drift.  And, quite frankly, I'm still ticked off about those gaping holes in the bottom of my ship.

I would have loved to known what the heck Eaglemoss was thinking when they decided that this model was ready for sales.  They really let me down on this one.

This is probably the first time that I really wish that I could offer you some sort of alternative choice if you want to add one of these vessels to your collection.  Unfortunately, I can't, and since you can't get this model from the Eaglemoss webstore (at the time of this article's re-writing in January 2019), you are going to be stuck paying the $32 (shipping included on eBay) to get your hands on it.  Honestly, if you can live without this type of ship in your collection, skip it.  It is not a good representation of Eaglemoss' usually high craftsmanship.

And I realized that when I first wrote this article, I never looked up the MicroMachine pricing.  As of the January 2019 re-write, it appears that you can get these on eBay for around $12 with shipping included.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment