Tuesday, October 27, 2015

EMvTW 39: Romulan (Holo) Drone

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (June 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Next up with my Eaglemoss vs. The World series is the Romulan Holo Drone that we see in two back to back episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise.  This is one of the finer examples of why Eaglemoss will continue to come out as one of the best ways to collect small scale versions of the ships we all love.


So far, Eaglemoss is the only manufacturer who has produced a pre-made, pre-painted model of this ship.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, these guys are a great investment if you want to populate your small scale collection with new a different ships that no one else has done before.


Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

I'm going to get the one negative thought I have out of the way.  The stand for this model just downright SUCKED!!!   What an awkward pain in the ass (pardon my french) contraption.  The stand you saw in the very first picture was from thier promotional pictures and IS NOT what comes with the model.  If you are lucky enough to get the model to sit on the stand, don't look at it funny or it will fall off.  Honestly though the review is on the model itself so I will not fault the ship because of this.

OK, that is out of the way.  I've vented and can now refocus on the ship itself.

This model is very unique and probably one of the best ones to come along in the Eaglemoss collection.

It certainly takes the lead in being the most intricately painted ones for sure.  I would dare say that the paint job is OUTSTANDING!  The main hull is not just one plain green color, but rather has a grayish/silver lattice work all over it.  The holo projectors are all individually painted with gold spider webbing and unlike other models from Eaglemoss are all perfectly aligned.

The sculpting and molding that were done with this model is as well done as the paint job.  The greebles on the model are an especially nice touch.  What really makes this model stand out though is all of the antenna arrays that jut out from the front and bottom of the ship.  Although the antenna arrays are not screen accurate, Eaglemoss did a superb job coming up with a good compromise of thickness versus quantity.  Honestly, if they had made them thinner and added more, they would have been very fragile and then Eaglemoss would have been stuck dealing with having to replace a ton of these ships like they did with the Bajoran Solar Sailor Ship.

The joins and seams on the model are also hidden very well.

Conclusion

At the time of the writing of this article you can get one of these ships on eBay for around $24 (shipping included).

Right off the bat, I'm going to say that you should forget what I said about the stand.  This ship is a steal for what ever you pay for it.  It is perhaps one of thier best offerings ever.  You would be foolish to pass up adding this one to your fleet.

As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

No comments:

Post a Comment