Monday, October 26, 2015

EMvTW 38: Delta Flyer

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (May 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Next up for my Eaglemoss vs. The World series of articles is The Delta Flyer.


My current collection only consists of two versions of this ship, one from Eaglemoss and one from Hallmark.

I'm a big fan of this ship.  She's sleek, she's fast, she's tough for a small vessel, and she's versatile enough to take on a bunch of different roles.  The Delta Flyer just plain looks like a cool spaceship.

Eaglemoss vs. Hallmark

I decided to write this particular series of articles to give a good side-by-side comparison of the various pre-built and pre-painted small scale starships available to a collector.  I found that there was a serious lack of material showing what they looked like next to each other, thus not giving me a good informed choice on what to buy.  I decided to start providing this information myself since I ended up buying the different manufacturer renditions of the same ship.

Eaglemoss vs. Hallmark

Eaglemoss vs. Hallmark

Both versions of this ship are very close in size and quite frankly, they seem to show off all the important details of the ship.  There are some differences though.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

One quick note, and I think Eaglemoss should have caught this, thier model has a photon torpedo launcher on the front of it.  This little fact, makes thier model the Delta Flyer II, which means, thier model is labeled incorrectly.

Most of the model is made from metal, making it one of the heavier entries from Eaglemoss.

This is one of thier models where I will rate the sculpting and molding details at being just OK.  As I pointed out in my review of the Danube Class Runabout, Eaglemoss seems to have an issue sometimes with the details in the metal parts looking soft and rounded.  The Delta Flyer seems to suffer from this symptom as well, and given that most of the visable hull (the entire topside) is made of metal, it almost looks like the ship was run through some extreme heat and the shields were starting to fail and allow the hull to melt slightly.  What makes this effect really disconcerting is the fact that on plastic parts, the molded details are nice a crisp and edgy.

 
Top Side Close-Up                          Bottom Side Close-Up

The join seam was also very noticeable on my model along the nose of the ship.


When talking about the painting of the model, I will once again say the Eaglemoss did an OK job with her.  They do a good job of highlighting the important areas, but once again, it wasn't as crisp as it could have been.  The Borg components for example could have used a little more detail painting, but instead, they just seem blah with it's brown and black highlights.


This ship does have the traditional clear red and blue plastic parts which highlight the warp drive parts of the model, and that fact brought up the marks for the model for me.

If you have been following my series for a while, you know that I have a thing for Federation Deflector Dishes.  I like to hyper focus on these because I feel that a manufacturer's attention to detail can really be determined by taking a good look at this small part of the ship.


I really am not happy with Eaglemoss' deflector dish.  Because of it being done in the metal part of the ship, it suffered from the rounded and melted look ad feel.  Eaglemoss did try to do something more with it by applying a two tone paint job, HOWEVER, the application of the paint was a tad off.

Overall, the model the model was OK, but I think Eaglemoss could have done a better job on this one, especially since it is a favorite among Voyager fans.

Hallmark

 
 
 
 

Hallmark's Delta Flyer was released back in 2002, before thier models were battery powered.  Which means that for mine, I've cut the cord off it so that it displays nicely among my collection.


Since I can't show you mine in a lit up state, here is a random picture off the internet of her in all of her lit glory.

Personally, I think that this was one of Hallmark's better designs over the years.  

The proportions are all right on.  And because the entire ship is made from molded plastic, it has a more crisp and precise look, rather than the softer rounded look of Eaglemoss' ship.  Hallmark did a much better job on painting the ship too.  


The Borg components have a more alien look to them and a few areas of the ship seem to be much better detailed, especially when you look at the bottom of the vessel.


Here is the close-up of the deflector dish on the Hallmark model.  


Although they only painted it one color, you can clearly see the molded details on it thus making it stand out better.  And if you look at this picture and that of the Eaglemoss ship, you will also see what I mean about the metal molded details verses the plastic ones.  Hallmark's comes out crisper, and you can see even more painted details here on the panels, thus making them stand out a bit more.

Conclusion

At this point in my articles, I like to do a quick check on eBay to get some prices of the ships I've shared with you.  I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices (with shipping included in that price) from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $27
Hallmark = $20  was 15

Editor's Note (May 2016): The Hallmark price only went up by about $5 in the months between my originally writing this article to May 2016.

I would now like to wrap up my article by giving you my opinion on which ship would give you the best bang for the buck.  That's my crude way of saying, which one is the best buy.

Unfortunately, there are only two different pre-made ships to really pick from.  With both ships being so close in size and details, this actually turned out to be a tough decision, however, one of the models did pull ahead by a deflector dish so to speak.

The end result was very surprising to me.  Normally, Eaglemoss comes out on top for most of these comparison reviews.  But honestly, Hallmark's was much more crisp and better detailed.  That coupled with the price and the fact that it lights up, makes it a very good choice for your collection.

As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Hallmark    

No comments:

Post a Comment