Friday, February 6, 2015

EMvTW 25 - USS Prometheus NX-59650 (Prometheus class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (March 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

OK, ok, ok.   I will admit it, I lied.  In my attempt to get all the special edition ships done and posted for my Eaglemoss vs. The World series, I skipped this ship until now.  This article actually marks an entire year's worth of Eaglemoss ships and quite frankly, this is probably my all time favorite Star Trek ship.  I am of course talking about the USS Prometheus.


My small collection of this ship includes an Eaglemoss, a Furuta and a MicroMachine sized version.

As is tradition with my articles, here is a quick look at the MicroMachine sized version.

 

I believe this is what is called a HeroClix model and is designed specifically for table top gaming.  It's actually a nice model except for the fact that one of the lower warp nacelles was mounted up-side down.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

As I started getting into collecting and wanting to expand my collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various small scale pre-built and pre-painted ships available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.

So now I present to you what I like to call "the gravy shot", a series of pictures I wished I had seen long ago, and the main reason I started this blog.

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta 

Eaglemoss vs. Furuta

Both ships are relatively the same size.  As far as details go though...  well, I'll let the article cover that.

Eaglemoss

 
  
 
 

This is one of Eaglemoss' top models in my opinion.  Besides some minor join and seam gaps on the bottom of the saucer and in between the nacelle struts, this model just plain rocks.

The sculpted and molded details on the plastic and metal parts are phenomenal.  There are all sorts of details that have been added to the model.  They managed to add in the details for the bridge as well as the recessed warp nacelle right behind it.


The molded details are of course accented by some really nice applications of paint in all the right places.  Instead of aztecing, they went with a mottled variation on the hull.  I think they did this to represent the ship's ablative armor.  It actually looks pretty good.  They also managed to paint all the important parts like windows, hatches, shuttle bay and phaser strips.  They also added some paint to the previously mentioned bridge module and added a nice swoosh and bussard collectors to that recessed nacelle.

I do confess that I read a couple other people's reviews and takes take on the Eaglemoss' models.  This allows me to get a feel for whether I missed something or to see if my model has something out of the ordinary.

I noticed on my model as well as other people's models that the ship name paint seems to be a little loose.  It looks like I've already rubbed off my "m" in Prometheus.  I've seen other models with other letter rubbed off, so be careful when handling her from the top front.


I really liked Eaglemoss' great use of the clear red and blue plastics.  They make the nacelles look really nice.

Anytime I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.


And this is one area where Eaglemoss dropped the ball.  The Prometheus' deflector dish is round, just like the Sovereign class.  Although they have a round dish molded into the plastic piece, they failed to paint the surrounding areas the same color as the hull.  This leaves you with a big square area that doesn't look quite right.

That being said, I still think that besides the deflector dish and the slight gaps, this is a really nice model that just catches the eye when it's on your shelf.

Furuta

 
 
 
 

Whenever I cover a Furuta toy, I find it necessary to start off by reminding my readers that Furuta produces something called gashapon toys.  Gashapon toys are meant to be nothing more than cheap little $1 to $5 bubble gum machine prizes.  I feel that it is always important for me to say this because it puts the level of detail into better perspective.  I try to be fair in my reviews of thier products because I should not be expecting Eaglemoss, Hot Wheels or Hallmark quality.  Which is weird because in a lot of cases, the Furuta stuff is rare enough that they bring in a lot more money on eBay.  I found a neat video about these types of toys and you can check that out at THIS LINK.

Furuta did a pretty decent job with thier rendition of this ship.  For a "cheap" toy, they did a lot of nice molding of details and even painted them so all the key areas of the ship are shown off.

It does have a few flaws though.  

First, the observation deck just under the bridge is WAY out of proportion.  


And the warp nacelles on the one side of the ship are... well... warped.  That is to say, they are not aligned properly.


Looking at the bottom, the one issue that pops out at you is the registry number.  There are no reference pictures that I can find that show the ship having this detail on the bottom.  


The center part of the saucer section struck me as being a little odd too.  It almost looks like the molded a piece from the underside of a Sovereign class and stick it there to give it some detail.  


I liked Furuta's attempt at the deflector dish.  Unlike Eaglemoss, Furuta's sish at least looks like it is the right shape.  Although it sticks out a tiny bit, kind of like an outee belly button.  

All in all, given that this was originally a cheap little toy, Furuta's Prometheus turned out nice.

Conclusion

And that wraps it up for the comparison and review part of my article.  Which brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $25
Furuta = $19
MicroMachine = $25

And we finally come to the part of my article where I give you my opinion of which ship gives you the "best bang for the buck", which is my rough way of telling you which one is the best buy. In all honesty, when I write these, I am trying to give my opinion of which model is the best for the least cost.

This one is a no brainer.  Eaglemoss' quality make this the clear choice for getting a beautiful and well detailed ship for a very reasonable price.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

For this particular share, I did not build this myself.  I saw it on eBay and got into a major bidding war over it and ended up dropping out at $120.  

 
 
 

The builder took a Furuta Prometheus kit and kitbashed it into three separate models.  Although it does suffer from the same proportion issues that the original model had, it was still a cool idea that was well executed.



I hope you found this article as useful and informative as I did while writing it.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment