Monday, February 2, 2015

EMvTW 24 - Xindi Insectoid ship (Olaen class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

[Editor's Note (March 2016): This will mark my second re-write of this article.  Now that I've written over 50 of these Eaglemoss vs. The World articles, I feel like I've developed a certain style and flow to the articles and I wanted to make all of them have that same feel across the series.  Consider this the REFIT version of the original article.]

Welcome to the 24th installment of my Eaglemoss vs. the World Series.  This marks a milestone as I will now have reviewed an entire year's worth of Eaglemoss ships.  Unfortunately, only one company has ever produced a pre-built and pre-painted version of the Xindi Insectoid ship, so this will sadly be a very short article.


The ship on the right side of the picture is the Eaglemoss model that we will be reviewing for this article.  The ship on the left is a little kitbash that I created when I decided to try to build a starship from a submarine model.  As I progressed, it began taking on a Xindi Aquatic vessel kind of look so I just rolled with that idea.  I did write up an entire article about that build so if you would like to read up about my 24th Century Xindi Aquatic ship, click on THIS LINK.

Memory Bta has given this type of ship the name of Olaen Class.  You can read more about this ship at these Memory Alpha and Memory Beta links.

Since I have no other manufacturer's models to compare with, let's just jump right into looking at the Eaglemoss ship.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

This is one of the largest Eaglemoss ships in the collection so far, not counting the special edition models.  It's also pretty hefty in the weight department and quite frankly, one of the better models from Eaglemoss.

Eaglemoss made a wise decision in making her big.  Because there was more room to work with, they were really able to shine through on the model.  The sculpting and the molding on the ship is crisp and the metallic paint is flawless.  There are some subtle paint details that give the ship a weathered look to it.

I was not able to find fault with the model.  I even checked in with some of my fellow reviewers, and they all seem to be of the same mindset, that this is a great model.

My only complaint, and it has nothing to do with the model, is that the stand is a little awkward to work with.  Be extra careful not to move it once you have it mounted, otherwise it will fall off.

Conclusion

And that wraps it up for the comparison and review part of my article.  I told you it was going to be short.  Which now brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $25

We now come to the part of my article where I would normally give you my opinion of which ship gives you the "best bang for the buck", which is my rough way of telling you which one is the best one to get for the best price.  Since there is only one ship this time, the winner is a clear choice.  In seriousness, if you like alien looking vessels, you should definitely get this one, it does not disappoint.

Anyway, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.

So for now, "Live Long And Prosper!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss    

No comments:

Post a Comment