Sunday, January 27, 2019

EMvTW 138: USS Lantree (NCC-1837) (Miranda Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

We are really cruising along with the catch-up writings of these reviews.  The next model under my microscope is the USS Lantree (NCC-1837), yet another Miranda class variant.


This particular ship makes its appearance in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "Unnatural Selection".


I won't share what Memory Alpha and Memory Beta have to say about Miranda Class starships as I have covered that is at least two other EMvTW articles.

Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The USS Lantree (NCC-1837) was a 23rd century Federation Miranda-class starship operated by Starfleet.  This starship was classified as a class 6 supply ship and was armed with class 3 defensive armaments."  The ship was eventually destroyed by the Enterprise D to prevent the spread of a deadly disease.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Miranda Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
USS Lantree (NCC-1837) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

With only a projected 22 more models coming at us in the Standard Line of Eaglemoss models, we were inevitably going to start seeing variations of previously released models.  And the Lantree is different enough from the Reliant and the Saratoga, so it should be allowed in the collection.  this still didn't stop me from feeling like having a case of deja vu, or feeling like I was in Joss Whedon's movie Serenity (2005) where River Tam breaks into the bridge of the ship, points to a monitor and utters that faithful word...


The camera moves to said monitor and we see on the screen...


Well, it doesn't exactly go down that way, but hey, I can have a little fun here.

So yes, here we are, looking at yet another Miranda variant.

 
 
 
 

As a long time Eaglemoss collector, my first thoughts are, how does this model measure up to the original USS Reliant?  Did Eaglemoss reuse molds?  And luckily, as a long time Eaglemoss collector, I can provide for you some comparative pictures to answer those very questions.  But before we get into that comparison, perhaps you might want to read up on my USS Reliant review at THIS LINK.

 Lantree vs Reliant

It is really hard to tell from my pictures, but the Lantree model is ever so slightly larger than the Reliant model, which means that Eaglemoss did not reuse their molds.

Speaking of the molds, the sculpt and mold work are much better defined this time around with the panel lines, bridge module, phaser banks, RCS thrusters and even those areas above the shuttle bays all much more clearly defined.  Even the fusion power crystal looks far better on the newer model.

Lantree vs. Reliant

The paint work on the Lantree is also a vast improvement over the older USS Reliant.  The Lantree sports a nice looking aztec pattern that is not overwhelming.  The shuttle bay doors are now painted which allows them to not just blend in with the rest of the paint.  The afore mentioned impulse engine crystal has a much more interesting paint scheme as well.  I was happy to see that the sensor dome on the bottom of the saucer section received a little more details.  Eaglemoss even painted the impulse engine exhausts red, which were a far better look than the Reliant's yellow exhausts.

Reliant vs. Lantree

I was just about to publish this article with me poo-pooing the grill work on the nacelles, where I commented on my lament that they were painted on.  Lucky for me, I read other people's reviews, and that is where I realized that I was gravely mistaken in my original assessment.  It looks like Eaglemoss used translucent plastics for the grills on the nacelles.  The seam work is so well done that I mistook it for painting.  While I would have preferred the traditional clear blue plastics, I am still happy to see that they didn't take the lazy paint this part approach here.

Reliant (Top) vs. Lantree (Bottom)

The joins and seams, while visible, run along the natural lines of the ship so as to try to appear to be normal.  This is nice in that, while they are visible, they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.  I researched these prices on January 27th, 2019, and at that time, you can get this model on eBay for around $30 (shipping included) and directly from the U.S. Eaglemoss WebStore for around $23 (shipping unknown).

Before I get into my decision on whether this model is worth the money, you should also check out my review of the USS Saratoga at THIS LINK.


When I have been forced to buy my Eaglemoss models off of eBay, I had become used to paying anywhere from $25 to $30 (shipping included) for the Standard Edition line of models.  That puts the Lantree right on target as far as pricing goes.  And quite frankly, the model is superbly done, especially when you compare it to the original Miranda class model, the USS Reliant.  I mentioned the USS Saratoga before I started this section for a reason.  You can get that model through both of the sources I just mentioned for the same amount of money as well.  And since I write these reviews with the intention of saving my readers money, I would say that if you are hard up to add a Miranda class variant to your fleet, and only had the money to add one, then invest in the Saratoga instead.  I don't say this because I dislike the Lantree.  No, I simply make this opinionated statement because you will get slightly more starship with the Saratoga for your money.

Now, that being said, if you are a follower of my reviews, then you know that at this point, I am collecting from the angle of being a completionist, which means that if you are like me, you should definitely pick up your copy of the Lantree.  It is a great looking model that simply adds to this Miranda fleet.



As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss     Comparative Shots

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection [NO REVIEW YET]

NOTE: Whoever was running the Star Trek Starship Collection Review blog at THIS LINK, seams to have dropped off the grid after their review of Warship Voyager.  While commenter's have asked the writer if he/she was OK, there has been no reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment