Saturday, January 26, 2019

EMvTW 137: Xindi Humanoid (Primate) Ship (Ateleth Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Next in line for the Standard Releases of the Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship collection is the Xindi Humanoid (or Primate) Ship.


We are first introduced to this type of starship in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode called "E2".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Ateleth class was a tier 6 Xindi-Primate dreadnought cruiser in service since at least the 22nd century. In the 2150s, ships of this class served as warships."

Although these types of ship were never given an official classification, some non-canon sources have all agreed that they should receive the class name of Ateleth.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Ateleth Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

When I first saw the model, I immediately though of the Imperial 74-Z Speeder Bike from Star Wars.  The front stabilizers had me imagining this ship zooming through the forests of Endor.

Photo Credit: Wookeepedia

But then I started getting up close and personal with the model and began to enjoy the subtleties that Eaglemoss did with this thing.

 
 
 
 

I am going to break with my traditional review format so that I can talk about the next thing that I noticed about this ship/model.

I did not realized the actual size of the ship at first.  The paint scheme of the ship throws you off at first in thinking that this ship is shuttle sized with a wide front window.  It wasn't until I read the Memory Beta article where they kept calling it a dreadnought that I took a closer look.  I then noticed the small windows that were painted on.


While the yellow paint used on the impulse engines is technically accurate, something just didn't feel right when looking at them.  Now that I look at the pictures closer, it is in how the paint was applied in a bit of a sloppy manner.  That is what ruined the look for me.


Putting those two things aside, the paint work is still very nice to look at on the rest of the model and the remaining ship look sharp from different angles.

Speaking of sharp, the sculpt and mold work on the front "blades" is really awesome looking.

 

Actually, the sculpt work is really well done across the entire model.  For such a large ship, Eaglemoss really put in lots of panel lines and other fiddly bits.  This keeps the entire model interesting from a tactile point of view.


I was particularly impressed with the engine cowling on the top rear of the ship.


This raised piece acts as a shielding to the main engines and was well executed by Eaglemoss.  Having it raised and not touching the hull in certain areas adds some extra dimension to the model that we don't get in most Eaglemoss models.

I almost forgot to talk about the joins and seams on the model. 


That is because, I didn't spot them initially.  They are blended into the ship's natural lines so well that is becomes a game of "Where's Waldo" to find them.

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now price from eBay at the time of this article's writing.  I researched the price on January 26th, 2019, and at that time, I was able to find the model for around $30 (shipping included).  At this time, you can also order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

And so, we now get to decide if this model is worth the $23 to $30 you are inevitably going to pay for it.  In my opinion, I would say that the answer is "Yes.".  Besides the minor paint issue with the engines, the model is put together very well, and looks rather cool.  Let's face it, it is one of Eaglemoss' better works.  It definitely would look great in your alien spacecraft fleet by itself, and if have been a completionist like me, it rounds off a rather cool looking fleet of Xindi craft too.



As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection [NO REVIEW YET]

NOTE: Whoever was running the Star Trek Starship Collection Review blog at THIS LINK, seams to have dropped off the grid after their review of Warship Voyager.  While commenter's have asked the writer if he/she was OK, there has been no reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment