Thursday, January 18, 2018

EMvTW 96: Orion Scout Ship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

I've been busy rebuilding my photo libraries on FaceBook and getting myself situated for re-writing some of my older articles.  In the mean-time, I've had several Eaglemoss ships warp in to my desk area so I figured it was time to get started on reviewing them.

First up for review is the Orion Scout Ship that we are introduced to in the remastered Star Trek: The Original Series episode titled, "Journey to Babel".





This type of ship was never given an official classification, however, Memory Alpha and Beta say this about it, "The Orion scout ship was a type of scout ship utilized by the Orions during the mid-23rd century.  The Orion scout ship had a unique design, previously unknown to Starfleet, consisting of an oblong primary hull attached by a central "spine" to a large vertical ring, perpendicular to the primary hull, which contained the ship's propulsion system. The propulsion system itself consisted of two four-spoke components, each containing four propulsion units. These two components spun independently of each other while the ship was in flight."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Scoutship Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

I made mention that we only see this ship in the remastered version of the episode.  Until they gave the episode a computerized makeover, the ship looked like this on screen.

 
Before Remastering                         After Remastering
Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

So, what do we actually get from Eaglemoss?

 
 
 
 

I'm a sucker for a ring ship.  I love to collect them as well as build them so I have to say that I've been anxiously awaiting this model to come out.  

To start off, the model is very small.  Eaglemoss has even packed in in a smaller, non-standard box, which I believe is the same sized box as the Borg Sphere.


And the packaging is not very good for such a spindly type of craft.  My model came with the rear engine pods disconnected.


I checked with my supplier and he apparently has a few that came like this from Eaglemoss and is now in the process of fixing them for his future customers.  Luckily, I'm a model builder, and a little dab of super glue to the right place has my ship back to peak operational standards.

The other manufacturer defect on my model was in regards to the forward facing spikes that extended above and below the command module.


On my model, they lean to the side instead of going straight up and down.  I didn't think anything of it until I checked out my fellow reviewers and saw that thier spindles were different than mine.  😠

OK, enough of getting down on this thing.  The sculpting and molding of the model is great, however it is a bit repetitive.  There is some slight variation for the top and bottom of the command module.

 

The amount of details that were molded into the ring give it an almost Stargate look and feel.


The paint is one more thing that seems to detract from the overall look of the model though.  I get that this is a working, dirty ship, and that feeling is conveyed well with the weathering paint that was applied.  The issue is, there is a lack of other colored paint everywhere else and it just makes the model seem to be plain in color.  I'm thinking that had Eaglemoss painted a few windows, it might have helped sooth that uncomfortable feeling for me.

I'm thinking that Eaglemoss blew thier paint budget with a certain aspect of this model, and that is why the paint was lacking.  And that area of the ship is of course the engineering section.


Holy cow!  That's a lot of clear yellow plastics there and it looks awesome! 

When I knew the model was coming in the mail, I REALLY wanted to say that I was "WOWed" by it.  Unfortunately, I feel like I have to with-hold that award for another model.  The manufacturer's issues (broken engineering, bent spindles), the small size of the model, and the drab paint ruined that excitement for me.  Don't get me wrong though.  It's still a cool looking little ship and a unique model for any collector of star Trek Starships.

We now come to the part of my article where I give you my thoughts on whether this is a good buy or not.  At the time that I'm writing this article, this model is going for around $27 (shipping included) on eBay.  Eaglemoss also has the ship in stock for around $23 (not sure on shipping costs). Would I buy this model again knowing what I know now?  Considering that it hasn't become an expensive rarity, I still think that it's still worth adding to your collection if you can keep the price under $25, so yeah, I would probably buy it again. 


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment