Thursday, August 4, 2016

EMvTW 63: SS Antares NCC-501 (Antares Type)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: April 2019

As I shared in my last Eaglemoss vs. The World article, finances had been tight lately so I fell a bit behind in my collecting of Eaglemoss models.  I did pick up four more this month so I'm happy to present to you the second of four new reviews.

This article will focus on the Antares Type cargo hauler.


My collection consists of two models of this type of ship.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Antares-type was a small, multipurpose 23rd century Federation starship identified as a survey ship, transport, cargo and science-probe vessel. This class of vessel was commonly used during the 2260s."

I have also seen this type of ship called a Sherman Type.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Antares Type/Class (Starfleet) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
SS Antares (NCC-501) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Long before Eaglemoss came out with their model, I had built a 1:2500 scale resin model of the same type of ship from a garage kit maker called Cozmo Heavy Industries.  While I don't normally compare them, I did want to show the sheer size difference when comparing the Eaglemoss model to a 1:2500 scale model.

 Cozmo Heavy Industries vs. Eaglemoss

This issue in the Eaglemoss collection marks a bit of an interesting milestone.  Technically it is the first time we are getting a model that appeared in The animated Series.  The one that appears in that show was considered an un-manned drone ship.

 
Photo Credits: Memory Alpha

The model that Eaglemoss made is based off of the ship that appears in the remastered version of The Original Series and is slightly different in that it has a habitat module and a bridge, however, they are still considered the same type of starship.

Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

This model is a bit smaller in length when compared to other Eaglemoss models, however, this is probably due to the fact that she is a bit taller than the other models and Eaglemoss wanted to keep it scaled down to still fit in the same sized boxes.

 
 
 
 

Eaglemoss did a great job with the sculpted and molded details for their model.  She is not a graceful starship like other ships of the line, but she is a great representation of an older workhorse kind of vessel.


Unlike other Federation ships, there are no clear plastic parts on this model.  But I'm OK with this because they did a good job with painting in details all over the ship.


The paint job isn't perfect though.  There is a light aztecing all over the top part of the ship.


When you flip it over and look at the bottom, for some reason, the axtecing is only present on on the habitat module.


One nice little touch is that they painted in some windows for the habitat module.  The ship's registry to plastered in several key areas, thus adding some additional color to the model.


I also like the fact that Eaglemoss went and painted the impulse engines on their model.


If you want to get nick-picky though, there are some mistakes, mainly when it comes to small decals.  When you compare the model to the pictures in the magazine, there are some instances where the decals are in the wrong locations, or in some situations, missing altogether.

The ship's blockyness serves the model well and hides the joins and seams expertly.

Anytime I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into their models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.


I have to say, Eaglemoss' approach was simple, yet effective.  For how tiny this model is, it actually looks pretty good and I have no complaints.

NOTE: Prices were researched last on April 20th, 2019.  Unfortunately, at the time that I am re-writing this, Eaglemoss does not have this ship in stock on their US WebStore, so we are at the mercy of the eBay sellers.

I got mine on eBay for $25 (shipping included) the first time I wrote this article.   That price seems to be the norm still when the article was rewritten.  Even with the missing or incorrect decals, it is one of those odd looking ships that no one else has ever produced in a pre-built and pre-painted format which gives you a very unique and well built model for your fleet.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

Eaglemoss' model wasn't the first Antares class in my collection.  Cozmo Heavy Industries actually produced a 1:2500 scale kit that included the un-manned version as one of the models you can build.

SS Woden (NCC-325)
Antares Type (Automated)
1:2500 Scale Cozmo Heavy Industries Kit

 
 
 
 

At 1:2500 scale, this ship is SUPER small.  It was not one of my favorite build either because of this fact.

I'm not going to go into discussing the C.H.I. model too much though.  It's a nice kit, but for my preferences, I'd rather pay the $25 for one and not have to worry about building it.  And at this time (April 2019), it doesn't appear that C.H.I. is producing kits anymore.




As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment