Tuesday, August 2, 2016

EMvTW 62: Voth Research Vessel (Palisade class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: April 2019

Disclaimer: When I first wrote this article, finances had been tight, so I had fallen a bit behind in my collecting of Eaglemoss models.  These articles are all funded by me with no sort of kickback from any manufacturers so when life throws unexpected expenses my way, the collecting addiction had to be put on hold.  I eventually managed to save up a little extra then and was able to pick up a couple more models to continue with my collection and of course my reviews.

As I started getting into collecting small scale starships and wanting to expand my collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various small scale pre-built and pre-painted models available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.  I share this information every time I write an Eaglemoss vs. The World article because I want my readers to know the angle at which I write these things.

I have taken a look ahead at the current line-up in the Eglemoss collection and it appears that we will actually see very few actual comparative articles coming from me in the future.  I'm sad, as it means that my sole purpose for writing these sorts of articles is coming to an end.  But, I'm also happy in that Eaglemoss has far surpassed my wants in a manufacturer who would make models of ships that no one else has produced.   And even though Eaglemoss is re-releasing certain models with varied paint schemes as is the cases of the Mirror Universe ships, they are not wasting the subscribers time by forcing these on us.  We can buy them if we want to, but our collection is not being inundated by the same ship on purpose.  Unlike what Hallmark is doing by wasting production time by force feeding us the same ship in an updated format every several years.

Even though I seem to no longer be doing comparative articles, I apparently, have developed a small following of readers that seem to like my writing style.  So with that in mind, I will continue to write the reviews of the Eaglemoss models, because I am told that I am still providing some sort of helpful insight into what you would be buying.

Which brings us to the first of my next four reviews.  This one is about the Voth Research Vessel.  We are introduced to this type of starship in the Star Trek: Voyager episode called "Distant Origin".


As I've pointed out, I only have one manufacturer to show and that would be Eaglemoss.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Voth research vessel was a type of starship used by the Voth for scientific research in the late-24th century. They were equipped with transwarp drives."

While this type of ship was never given an official classification name, it has apparently earned one through the non-canon sources and is also called a Palisade class frigate.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Palisade Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

Since this is yet another one up for my collection, I'm going to steer away from my normal formula and just just right into talking about Eaglemoss' offering.

Normally, I don't talk about the stands or the magazine as the focus of these articles is about the models themselves...  BUT... the stand that came with mine just downright SUCKS!!!  The picture above took some fancy trickery and photography to get.  In fact, it doesn't even clip on.


The fact is, if you look at the model funny it is highly likely that it will fall off the stand.  I am not going to be able to safely display this model on my bookshelves unless I leave it off of it's stand.


Now, let's get back to talking about the model.

 
 
 
 

Eaglemoss really shines when they produce a small sized ship in their standard sized packaging.  Basically, the scale of the model is a lot bigger, thus allowing Eaglemoss the ability to cram more details onto the model.  And this is one of those models that really looks great at this scale.  And, I really have to say that the the model photographed well the second time around.


The sculpting and molded in details of the metal and plastic parts are great both on the top and bottom of the model.  All the various panels lines and protrusions make for a nicely detailed ship.


Although the paint and color scheme is rather simple, Eaglemoss has done a nice job of using the paint to highlight important parts of the ship.  The paint also contrasts nicely with the overall metallic color of the ship.


This contrast serves well in drawing your eyes in to take notice to the fine details of the model.  Not only that, but they did a great job of making sure that the painted on details actually line up with what they are painting, unlike some window painting we have seen on other Eaglemoss models.


There is no clear plastic parts on this model, but this is usually the case with a lot of the alien vessels we see from Eaglemoss.  Because the ship is rather simplistic in it's shape, they only needed two pieces to make her and this allowed them to do a fantastic job of hiding the joins and seams of the model.


I researched the prices again for the rewrite of this article, and as of April 10th, 2019, you can get this model on eBay for anywhere from $10 to $27 (shipping included).  Unfortunately, at this time Eaglemoss does not have this ship in stock on their US WebStore, so we are at the mercy of the eBay sellers.  Which given the low prices, isn't that big of a deal.

Even though the stand was absolute junk, the model itself is one of the better made ones as far as craftsmanship goes.  It is also unique looking and makes for a great addition to your fleet collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss 

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment