Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bonefish Class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

A while ago, the Star Trek Modelers Group page on Facebook held a build contest where the contestants had to build a ring ship.  This was one of my entries.


I had challenged myself to not only build a ring ship, but to cobble together parts from two different sci-fi genres.


In Universe Story:

IXS Advent Vista (NX-1168)
Bonefish Class
Experimental Quantum Slipstream Drive Ship
1:2500 Scale AMT/Bandai Kitbash

 
 
 
 

Upon the return of USS Voyager to the Alpha Quadrant, Starfleet found itself with a plethora of information on Quantum Slipstream Drive technology.


In an effort to put this knowledge to practical use, Starfleet engineers designed the Advent Vista. They went back to some older time tested Vulcan designs and resurrected the ring nacelle technology in an attempt to better stabilize the slipstream conduit.

 

From the data collected, it has been determined that the Quantum Slipstream Drive operated by routing energy through the vessel's main deflector, which then focused a quantum field, allowing the vessel to penetrate the quantum barrier. In order to maintain the slipstream, the phase variance of the quantum field had to be constantly adjusted, or the slipstream would collapse, violently throwing the ship back into normal space. For the Advent Vista, the main deflector was mounted on the saucer section at the very front of the ship and has been heavily enhanced for generating the massive amounts of energy needed.

 

The Vista is elongated to provide a slimmer profile for operating inside a conduit. Unlike the Dauntless, the Advent Vista has been weaponized to provide her with better protection. She is currently being used as a high speed transport while Starfleet continues to study the drive and it's long term effects on its passengers.

Real Universe Story:

Parts Used: AMT Enterprise Refit Saucer Section and Deflector Dish Assembly, AMT Romulan Bird Of Prey Nacelles, Polar Lights NX-Refit Bussard collector Cap, Bandai Comet Empire Zordar's Dreadnaught Hull, PVC Pipe.


A lot of my Frankenstein builds start of with me thinking, "I wonder what this would look like if I do this..."

The Bonefish Class was one of these types of builds as I started trying to come up with an idea for the ringship contest.  At the time I built her, I was also very keen on PVC pipe as it was much easier to use then trying to build my own rings.  I also opted to go with dual rings as she was going to be a long ship and it didn't look right with just the one ring.


 Even though I said that I felt using PVC pipe was the easy approach to building a ring ship, it is rather difficult to cut nice looking rings by hand.

 

I also needed to do some extensive modifications to the front of the ship in order to mount up the forward facing deflector dish assembly.


The forward ring posed a bit of a problem in that I needed to engineer some sort of mount and connection to the rest of the ship.  I eventually used nacelle struts to accomplish this task.


I also used an NX bussard collector for a power dome. I did a dry fit and she looks about what I was hoping to accomplish.

All in all, it was actually a fun build that turned out rather nice.  




As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment