Thursday, April 9, 2015

EMvTW 30 - Nausicaan Fighter/Raider

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: May 2016 & July 2018

It's that time of the month again!  I love saying that!  LOL.  Anyway, I received my next shipment of Eaglemoss ships so let's get this party started and present you with the next edition of my Eaglemoss vs. The World articles by taking a look at the Nausicaan fighter.


We are introduced to this starship in the Star Trek Enterprise episode titled, "Fortunate Son".

This is another one of those ships where Eaglemoss is the only manufacturer has made a pre-built and pre-painted version of this ship.  that being said, this is going to be short article.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "Nausicaan raiders were vessels employed by Nausicaan pirates during the mid-22nd century for raiding freighter routes.  These vessels were armed with forward and aft plasma cannons and possessed primitive shields. Although their weapons were considered formidable to a Y-class freighter, Nausicaan raiders were outmatched by NX-class starships, whose spatial torpedoes were capable of piercing Nausicaan shields."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Nausicaan Fighter/Raider Class Information: Memory Alpha LINK and NO Memory Beta LINK

As I started getting into collecting and wanting to expand my collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various small scale pre-built and pre-painted ships available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.

Unfortunately, being a single manufacturer article takes away from my ability to compare, thus making this a short article.  However, it does drive home why Eaglemoss is such a great company to get behind as far as collecting small scale starships.  Unlike Hallmark, you don't need to wait an entire year to get a new ship, AND you get to see some new stuff that has never been manufactured before.

I do confess that I read a couple other people's reviews and takes take on the Eaglemoss' models.  This allows me to get a feel for whether I missed something or to see if my model has something out of the ordinary.  At the time of the original writing of this article, I was relying heavily upon two You-Tuber's review sites to double-check my accuracy and assessment of the models.  At this point, those two guys must have been getting tired of the collection or just got bored with the whole video review concept as thier reviews started to trickle in and eventually stop.  I just checked and they still haven't updated recently.  Luckily, I've found other more reliable bloggers to read and compare notes with.  I have shared links to thier takes on this model at the end of my review.

And with that being said, we will break from my normal article format and just jump right into looking at the ship.

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

Even though we knew of Nausicaans since the days of TNG and Piccard's run-in, or rather run through with one of the species, we had never seen one of thier ships on screen until Enterprise.

WARNING!!!:  Use extreme caution when removing this model from it's packaging.  It fits very snuggly into this packaging as there are a lot of little bits that could be easily broken off by the over exuberant packing of the ship.

I have to say that this is by far, my most favorite alien ship from Eaglemoss to date.  The attention to details on this ship make a lot of thier other work pale in comparison.

 

The sculpted and molded details on the ship are phenomenal.  The ship has all these little greebles sticking out of the front of it which adds to the ship's foreboding look.


And Eaglemoss even includes dome greeble work on the rear of the ship as well to better arm thier model.


The paint work is on par with the molding.  There are these "rust" spots scattered all over the ship, giving it this mottled, yet heavily used look that can give you the feeling that this ship is not looking for a pleasure cruise.


The paint work on the bridge windows is a little sloppy, but I'm happy that Eaglemoss chose to highlight this area of the ship.

I would dare say that the mold work and paint work, when looked at together have done a fantastic job of making the ship look downright mean, which matches the personality of it's occupants.

There is no clear plastics on the ship.  The model might have benefited from using clear green plastics to represent the warp engines, however, this may have been an issue of production cost, so we'll just have to do without the clear stuff this time around.


That is really all I have to say about the ship.  It is one of those ships from Eaglemoss that will make you happy to be a subscriber and it just looks downright cool wherever you are going to display it.

Conclusion

At this point, I will jump right to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices (shipping included) from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (August 2018).

Eaglemoss = $20

NOTE: Prices were researched last on August 1st, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, you can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

Normally, if I was comparing different manufacturers I would now tell you which one I thought was the best buy.  In my opinion, Eaglemoss hit a home run with this ship.  and since the pricing has remained a a low to normal cost, I really can't think of a reason to not tell you to buy one for your collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment