Monday, February 28, 2022

EMvTW Extra 30 - Steth's Coaxial Starship

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Rewrites: None

I was sad when Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection came to an end at issue #180.  I truly thought we were done with seeing models from the my favorite TV series that had been covered in the this line of ships.  I especially felt that there were still a few more ships that could be done to complete the collection.  Then, Eaglemoss surprised us all, and continued releasing models as Special Edition and Shop Exclusives, which I personally call, the Bonus Edition models.  These new models do take a while to be released between the time they are put up for pre-order and the time we actually get them.  For example, this next model up for review was purchased by me through the US WebStore back in September 2021, and here we are in February 2022. 

So, without any further delay, here is Steth's Coaxial Starship.


We first get to see this starship in the Star Trek: Voyager episode called "Vis à Vis".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "Steth's ship was a small, lightly-armored Benthan starship which could be operated with a single pilot. It was equipped with an experimental propulsion system known as a coaxial warp drive."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Steth's Coaxial Starship Information: Memory Alpha LINK and NO Memory Beta LINK

Sadly, the Memory Alpha article is rather short and as you can see, Memory Beta doesn't even have an article, which meant that researching the ship for my review took a little detective work.

I'll start my review off with a warning.  This model has some very fragile parts to it.  My model emerged from coaxial warp with some damage of its own.  Luckily, I was able to shore up the damage with a little super glue.  Be extra careful when removing it from the packaging.


Once repairs were made on the ship, we were ready to dive into taking a better look at it.

 
 
 
 


My first impression when I saw the ship was that there were some similarities to the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter.  Not a lot, but just enough to make me think of that old school starship.



I am going to say though, that Steth's ship has much more to offer, especially to look at, than Buck's fighter.  As soon as you (carefully) take it out of the box, you can clearly see that you have something special

I will start off by saying that the sculpt and mold work is really cool.  There are several sections of the model where Eaglemoss made it look like the inner workings of the ship are exposed and you can make out wires and conduits. These details are nice and crisp and you have no problem figuring out what you are looking at.


This model also has quite a few pointy bits sticking out from it.  They look amazing, but as stated earlier, these greebles do make the model a bit more fragile.



Besides what I am assuming is a gun, the wings also bear clearly defined panel covers, as well as other sections that have been nicely molded into the model.


The engineering section on the rear of the ship also has some nice tactile features.  I particularly like the engine exhausts with the bright blue paint for added effect.


The paintwork on the model is pretty decent.  In places, it looks rough, but I believe this was by design.  The entire model has what can be described as a bit of a dirt wash to make it appear to be heavily used.  Pinkish stripes in certain locations look like they have been worn away.



The exposed sections have been painted with a black wash and the effect is downright neat to look at.  Running across the backbone of the ship is a blue and black paint scheme that I can not adequately explain with words.  The rear of the ship bears some sort of yellow grill and even this looks well done.


For those familiar with my review articles, you will know that I typically go in for a close-up of Starfleet ship's deflector dishes.  In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a company's attention to details by just looking at this area of the ship.  While this isn't a Starfleet ship, it does have a very cool looking deflector dish.  Eaglemoss has treated us to the fan favorite clear plastics, and to highlight the glow effect, they even applied some bright green paint to the edges.


And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As of the time of this article's writing on February 28th, 2022, I was unable to find the model from an eBay seller, however, you CAN currently order the model right from the Eaglemoss US WebStore for around $30 (shipping unknown).

This model had A LOT of "cool factor" going for it.  Once I got past having to repair it, I just kept going back to admire the work on it.  This is one where sloppy paint, works best in helping maintain the illusion of a heavily used ship.  And there are several nooks on the model that will having you look at again and again to make out neat little details.  In my opinion, its just a great little model of an alien ship.

I'll wrap this review up with one last tidbit about the CGI model used in the show.  According to Memory Alpha, "The studio model later appeared as a background ship in episodes of Joss Whedon's series Firefly.".  In an episode called "War Stories", we can see the model fly by the space station.  That is a very neat bonus fact for me to learn, since I really liked that short lived show.





As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment