Tuesday, October 2, 2018

EMvTW Special 14: USS Kobayashi Maru ECS-1022 (Kobayashi Maru Type)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

In this review, we get to take a look at a rather exciting addition to the Special Edition line of Eaglemoss ships.  The USS Kobayashi Maru (ECS-1022), at least this version of the ship, is seen in a simulator in the movie Star Trek (2009).


I have to admit, while I am not normally excited about the NuTrek starships in the Special Edition lineup, this is one of those more iconic vessels that have a history in the franchise, but has never really been brought to life in a pre-built and pre-painted format.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The USS Kobayashi Maru (ECS-1022) was a Federation freighter that served as a component of the Kobayashi Maru simulation, a no-win-scenario at the Starfleet Academy. In the scenario, the vessel was under attack by several Klingon Warbirds."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

USS Kobayashi Maru (ECS-1022) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

As was stated, the Kobayashi Maru was encountered in a simulator and is not the first ship like this that Eaglemoss has brought to life.  The last Special Edition model, the Klingon Battle Cruiser (AKA Warbird) was another model that came from the same simulation.  You can read my review of that model at THIS LINK.

I learned something from watching YouTube.  Apparently, Kirk didn't have to cheat as there was another perfectly acceptable way to win the simulation.  That solution was to destroy the Kobayashi Maru, thus demonstrating to the Klingons that we were willing to uphold the treaty at any cost.  I wonder how that would have actually went down though with the Starfleet instructors.  😐  Anyway, let us move on...

Magazine? Nope!


Does this surprise me?  Nope!  For my first time readers, I will share why this annoys me to no end.  For everyone else, skip on down to the Eaglemoss section.

When Eaglemoss fails to send me the magazine on time, they make it rather difficult for me to write these reviews.  Those magazines provide me with official photos to use as comparison, and give me a solid platform on which to judge them on whether they have produced an accurate model.  I really don't like having to rely on various internet and possibly tainted sources for my comparative data.

As such, this is the image that I now have to work with for this review.

Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

Eaglemoss

 
 
 
 

Two words came to mind as I unboxed this model...  long and flat.  She is as long as the Special Edition Enterprises but not very tall.  However, for what she lacks in height, she more than makes up for in detailing.

Where do we begin?  Well, for one, the sculpt and mold work are fantastic.  There have been lots of panel lines molded into the body of the ship and the bridge module looks crisp.


The transport containers look awesome, as they should since that is what this ship is all about.



As you can already see, the paint work is plentiful on this model.  The entire model is covered with a very dark aztec pattern that gives it hard working appearance. 


This pattern is broken up by the occasional blue or red pin-stripping.  The Starfleet pennant has been applied in several key locations as well.  I particularly like the fact that the impulse engines have been painted in so that we know where they are located.


The only minor issue I had with the paint job is that it appears that this ship has no downward facing RCS Thrusters.  No wonder it got itself in trouble, it could never turn upwards.  🤣

There was a minimal use of clear plastics on this model.  Eaglemoss only used them for the bussard collectors and deflector dish.


The nacelles were well executed with a simple yet elegant mold and paint work.

I felt that Eaglemoss did a fine job of hiding most of the joins and seams for the model.  The one exception that stood out to me was near the deflector dish.    I probably only noticed that because I look very closely at this area of the ship during my reviews.

Speaking of that deflector dish, whenever I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on it as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.


The cleat and translucent plastics used for the dish were a nice touch on this model.  The plastic mold work is crisp and gives the dish a lot of definition.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this model.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing (October 2018).

Eaglemoss = $NOPE

NOTE: Prices were researched last on October 2nd, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, I was unable to find this model on eBay here in the U.S..  However, you can currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $45 (shipping unknown).

Normally this is where I would bash Eaglemoss on yet again forcing a NeTrek starship upon us in the Special Edition lineup.  I would normally complain that this model could have just as easily been reproduced in the Standard line of models.   But you know what?  I'm not going to do that this time.  This is one of those rare models that doesn't come along to us collectors very often.  And I have to admit, Eaglemoss produced a fantastic model this time around.  I actually feel comfortable having paid the $45+ for mine because I really like how she looks in my collection.

Now, Eaglemoss has to just one-up themselves and produce a TOS or TMP era version of this ship in thier Extra line of models.  


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek  [NO REVIEW YET]
Star Trek Starship Collection   [NO REVIEW YET]

No comments:

Post a Comment