Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Ravenclaw Class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

What do you get when you mash up a 23 century Romulan ship with a 23rd century Klingon ship?


I saw a very similar design in a model builder's FaceBook group, and HAD to try my hand at it.


In-Universe Notes:

ChR Gauntlet
Ravenclaw Class
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

Weapons: Front and back facing Torpedo Launchers. Two forward Phaser Banks. Four rotating Phaser Canon Turrets.
Defences: Shields & Cloaking Device

Built in 2270, the Ravenclaw class was a joint effort of the Klingons and Romulans to merge technology in the form of a new starship. The vessel took on the best that both races had to offer and was quite a challenge to opposing starships. However, due to costs and the strained relations between the two races, only 4 of these ships were ever built and all four were eventually destroyed in various battles.

Real World Notes:

Parts Used: AMT (Round 2) 1:2500 Scale Romulan Bird Of Prey and Klingon D-7 Battlecrusier.

This design is not my idea, I saw someone named Jason Wiles share his kid's build in a FaceBook group . I thought it was a cool looking kitbash so I decided to tackle it.  I felt that it should be a relatively simple and straight-forward build that required a little cutting here and there, followed by some dremmeling to get the neck to fit flush.  I did stray from the original design slightly with how I oriented my Klingon nacelles, and then I added a little something extra to make it truly a more unique build.

 

One challenge I face when doing a kitbash is coming up with a name, classification and a back story.  I usually like to have a reason for why some engineer would design a ship to look a certain way.  So I set out asking questions in Kitbasher's  Corner FaceBook page.  Someone once suggested WarGoose, but I really don't like that idea, as it sounds a little silly.

Name Ideas:
Bill F. Mcrae Jr. - Ravenclaw class
Gav Jupp - Vulture Class
Ken Stokes - Dog of War Class

The first day saw me cutting out all the pieces and cleaning them up.  I then got the lower nacelles built and mounted and I feel like I am ready to start painting.

 
 

The next day, I started by painting in the nacelle grids and then I focused on the rest of the hull.  I found that the trick to using metallic flake paint is to paint your parts in smaller sections, and then let it dry for 24 hours, as it takes forever for the paint to cure. As you can see, I got everything painted up to the neck. As I was painting the model, I realized that I think she looked bare on the primary hull.  I went through my greebles bin and found some gun turrets that should take care of the problem for me.

 

The next day saw me finishing up the model and then letting it sit overnight for the paint to cure.  I mounted those gun turrets I had mentioned. and then painted up the neck and head of the ship.  I then touched up a few painted details and when that was all finished, I clear-coated the entire model.

I apologize for the blurry images, as I didn't realize they were like that until after all the work was done. My camera was apparently had a fixation with my finger and decided to focus on them more than the model.

 
 

And that was it.  It was a very easy build that I thought looked really cool when I was all done.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment