Wednesday, June 27, 2018

EMvTW 125: Alice

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

The second model released by Eaglemoss this month was a little ship named Alice.


We are introduced to this little ship in the Star Trek: Voyager episode called "Alice".


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "Alice was the name that Tom Paris gave to an alien shuttlecraft he bought from Abaddon's Repository of Lost Treasures in the Delta Quadrant. The ship's computer contained a program that could manifest itself as a person to its pilot."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Ship Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

I usually like it when Eaglemoss produces a normally small ship in thier standard line.  I find that when they can do a larger scale model of a ship, they are then provided with a larger "canvas" to work thier magic on, and this in turn allows them to show off all sorts of details that would normally be lost on a larger ship like a Constitution Class.  Given how tiny this ship actually was, the model almost comes off as being too big.  I kind of feel like this model might have been better served in an alien shuttle set.  Don't get me wrong though, I still like the model.

The sculpt and mold work on the model is nicely done.  The lines on the model are crisp and clearly defined.  The nose cone even sports a nice grill effect.


I like when Eaglemoss is able to add on extra "external" greebles to thier model.  By "external", I refer to when they are able to add parts that stick off of the model and are not just molded into the main body of the ship.  In this case, I am referring to the rods coming off the front of those wing mounted pods.


I was initially going to complain that I found the paint work to be too perfect, thus making the ship look brand new and fresh off the assembly line. As I was researching the actual ship from the episode, I found that Tom Paris had actually completed his restoration of the ship and the pictures online do show an Alice that looks brand spanking new.  So in a complete attitude reversal, kudos to Eaglemoss.

The little emblems on the front and on the wings are an additional little touch that Eaglemoss should be applauded for.

I only found one tiny issue with the paintwork on my model.  The paintwork around the rear hatch window is splotchy.  This is the only place the perfect paint job of the model is marred, and it took a close examination to find that issue.  considering the model is usually viewed from the front, I'm not too concerned about this.


The bottom of the model feels like it is lacking something.  Now keep in mind that we never really see the bottom of the ship too much in the episode, so the need to detail it by the show's creators was practically non-existent.  And if the show's original model was this bland from below, then we can't fault Eaglemoss for duplicating this fact.  Fro the one picture of Alice in Voyager's shuttlebay, we can assume that those rectangles are the ship's landing gear.


In my opinion, one of the coolest features for this model is the engine assembly on the rear of the ship.  Eaglemoss accentuates the exhaust ports with the inclusion of clear yellow plastics.


The joins and seams on this model are almost impossible to find.  Eaglemoss did a fantastic job of blending them in on this model.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on this class of ship.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (June 2018).

Eaglemoss = $35

NOTE: Prices were researched last on June 1st, 2018.  As of the writing of this article, you can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company themselves for around $23 (shipping unknown).

In almost an exact copy and paste from my SS Emmette review...  We now come to the part of my article where I like to tell you if the Eaglemoss model is worth the cost.  I am located in the United States, and as such, this model, having just come out, is hard to come by on eBay, thus the price is a bit higher than what I'm comfortable paying.  Since you can get it right from Eaglemoss though, this is a mute point.

While the actual ship from the show is not one of my personal favorites, I can not deny that Eaglemoss brought us a high quality model.  If you are looking for a great quality model, then yes, the Eaglemoss ship is well worth the money.  If you are a Star Trek: Voyager completionist, and need to have them all in your collection, then it is also well worth the purchase. 


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek
Star Trek Starship Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment