Friday, April 6, 2018

EMvTW Special 12: USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (Constitution Class refit, Kelvin timeline)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

I REALLY want to hate this model and be angry with Eaglemoss...

The 12th Special Edition model from Eaglemoss had me scratching my head, as they decided to bring us another rendition of the JJverse USS Enterprise.


My confusion was increased when my original thoughts of, "Oh!  They are bringing us the 1701-A from the end of the third NuTrek movie!", were dashed by someone's confirmation that this model WAS NOT that particular Enterprise.

What Eaglemoss has decided to give us this time around is the USS Enterprise as she appears in the beginning of "Star Trek: Beyond (2016)".  You know, the ship that lasts maybe ten minutes into the movie and then is totally shredded and then crashes.  Oh, and then they flip it over just to make sure we understand that the ship is now dead..


I really want to hate this model and be angry with Eaglemoss...

Before we get knee deep into this review, you should probably go and check out my review of the second Special Edition model that Eaglemoss produced at THIS LINK. Since both models are similar, I will be doing lots of comparisons with that original released model.

Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Constitution-class was launched by Starfleet in the latter half of the 23rd century in the alternate reality. The Constitution-class was in the Starship-class of starships.  The alternate Constitution-class dates back to at least 2255 with the construction of the USS Enterprise in Riverside, Iowa on Earth. The design of the starship class markedly differed from its prime universe counterpart following the temporal incursion by Nero and the destruction of the USS Kelvin in 2233.  In 2260, following nearly a year of repairs, the Enterprise was rechristened and refitted to become the first starship to embark on a five-year mission of uncharted deep space exploration."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

Constitution Class (Alternate Universe) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) (Alternate Universe) Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

As I stated earlier, this Enterprise model is how the ship appeared in the third movie, right before it was torn apart.  From the behind the scenes reading I have done, the ship was purposely redesigned so as to make it more fragile looking for the destruction scene of the third movie.  This way, when we meet the 1701-A at the end of the movie, we are given a sense that Starfleet has seriously beefed up the Constitution Class in yet another refit.

Let us look at the model and then we'll get into the finer details.

 
 
 
 

And with those pictures posted, let the griping begin...

BACK-ORDERED MAGAZINE AGAIN!?!?

Back when I did my review of the Phase II Enterprise, I went off on a very long winded rant about Eaglemoss releasing thier Pre-Order models and then back-ordering the magazines.  I am not going to rehash that whole thing over again so if you want to know my true feelings then go read that review at THIS LINK.

I am happy to say that the magazine for the Phase II model finally arrived... with this model... two months later.  And guess what?  They did not send a magazine for this model.  Why?  Well... Because it is back-ordered.


The only thing I will repeat from that original bitch-fest is that when Eaglemoss does this, they make it rather difficult for me to write these reviews.  Those magazines provide me with official photos to use as comparison, and give me a solid platform on which to judge them on whether they have produced an accurate model.  I really don't like having to rely on various internet and possibly tainted sources for my comparative data.

Devil's Advocate: "Well Pat, your reviews are always about the model, and not the magazine.  What do you think about the model?"

I do want to thanks the folks who frequent the Eaglemoss Star Trek Fan Group page on FaceBook who provided me with some missing information since I did not have a magazine to work from.

ANOTHER ALTERNATE UNIVERSE ENTERPRISE?!?!

Eaglemoss now has a track record or re-releasing updated models.  We have thier Constitution Class Refit in Issue #2 and #72 where all we got was an updated paint job.  We also got something of a duplicate with thier Klingon Bird Of Prey in issue #3 and #107.  There have been a couple other "re-skins", but they were at least enough of a modification to not warrant a complaint.

So, when I learned that we were not getting the Enterprise A from the end of the third film, my initial response was, "What a bunch of greedy bastards."  Let's face it, we all know that this model will not be the end of it.  We all know that there will be yet another of these special edition models of the JJverse Enterprise.  After the Issue #2/#72 fiasco, I think we can safely assume that we will see the Alternate Universe Enterprise A coming to the Special Edition line-up, which will hold them up from producing a different and sought after ship or space station.  I don't know that model will be, but PLEASE, let it be anything else than a JJverse Enterprise.

Devil's Advocate: "But Pat!  This new model does represent a slightly different ship with some slightly different attributes!"

I don't want to like this model and I want to be angry with Eaglemoss...

DARE TO COMPARE

Being a loyal collector to the Standard Edition line of model as well as the Special Edition series of models, I of course now have both versions of this ship.

Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

With me having two of these, I can at least bring you my "Gravy Shot" line-up of pictures where I can give yo a quick overview of the models in a side-by-side view.

Top = Issue #12 vs Bottom = #2


Top = Issue #12 vs Bottom = #2

From a distance, they really don't look all that different except that the newest model has swept back nacelle struts and slimmer looking nacelles.  But, as with all my reviews, I like to get up close and personal, and that's where things come into a new light.

PLEASE NOTE: As you look at the next series of pictures, be sure to note which model is which.  I have labeled each picture, however, the two models switch sides in several of the pictures.

Let's run this new model by the numbers.  First up, let's talk about the sculpt work and molded details.

Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

Not only has Eaglemoss crammed more molded details into this new model, but they have also managed to make them more crisp and clear looking than on the previous model.  This is very evident when you look at the tiny details like on the phaser banks and the bridge module.

I think I understand why Eaglemoss doesn't send the magazine out right away.  They think that because I don't have reference pictures, maybe I won't catch thier mistakes.  Luckily, I have friends and the internet that I can fall back on.  Those lovely phaser banks that I mentioned actually do have a mistake.  You see, the refit actually has more phaser banks on the top and bottom and it seems that Eaglemoss chose to omit them.  In fact, my friends have confirmed that the magazine cover clearly shows extra phaser banks.

Issue #2 vs. Issue #12

The joins and seams are handled a lot better this time around as well.  They are not very noticeable except for on the undersides of the nacelles.

 Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

The paint work on the new model is also a vast improvement.  The aztecing details are a bit darker than before, however, they are not overbearing like on some of Eaglemoss' other models.  The tiny detail paint work has been handled extremely well too, with areas like the photon torpedo launchers now standing out because of some well placed paint.

Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

My connections did point out that the magazine pictures and internet pictures show a lot more windows on the edges of the saucer section, and while Eaglemoss did paint some on, there doesn't seem to be enough of them.

The impulse engines on the rear of the saucer are now larger, but no details were lost in either molding or painting.

Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

One really amazing detail was in regards to the shuttle bay.  The original model had no real details and the flashing that occurred during the molding process was not cleaned up on my model.  While the new shuttle bay doors did not get any paint, they did receive some nice crisp molded details that far exceed the quality of the first model.

Issue #2 vs. Issue #12

While the nacelles are now slimmer, this didn't cause Eaglemoss to give them less love.  The sculpt and mold work both on the nacelles and the support struts are a tad better than before and there is slightly more painted details on this second attempt at producing this ship.

 Top = Issue #2 vs Bottom = #12

The bussard collectors received a paint job this time around which adds more details to them.  The issue that I have is that the two halves are aligned correctly and cause the whole effect to be messy looking.

 Issue #2 vs. Issue #12

I would have to say that the exhausts on the rear of the nacelles are evenly matched as far as molded details go, however, the slight addition of paint to the new model has really made a big difference in how good the model looks.  It's amazing what a little dab of well placed paint can do.

Issue #2 vs. Issue #12

Whenever I review a Starfleet ship, I like to hyper-focus on the deflector dish as it usually gives me a good idea of the level of attention to details that a manufacturer puts into thier models.  Let's face it, this is a very important part of the ship and should be accurately represented.

I was very impressed during my review of the second issue's deflector dish.  The dish on the newest model is equally well done in the sculpt work department, in fact, I almost feel like it is a tiny bit better.

Issue #12 vs. Issue #2

Damn you Eaglemoss!  I hate you and am angry with you for making a really nice model that outshines the original.  No.  That just doesn't sound right anymore.

And that is all I really have to share at this point on the newest model.  As for pricing, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's (re)writing (April 2018).

Eaglemoss #12 = COULD NOT FIND ON EBAY
Eaglemoss #2 = $80

NOTE: Prices were researched last on April 5th, 2018.  You can also currently order the Eaglemoss model right from the company website.  The older #2 model is going for around $45 (shipping unknown), while the new one is listed as [PRE-ORDER].

Honestly, the thing that makes me mad is the fact that Eaglemoss did such an awesome job on the new model.  This excellence puts the original model to shame and raises my disappointment level in that model even more than before.  If I had to do it all over again, with the knowledge that the new model was coming out, I would have skipped buying Issue #2 and just waited until I got a good price on Issue #12.  If you really want a NuTrek JJprise, then the newest model is the one to get for your collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss (S12)     Eaglemoss (S02)
Comparative Pictures

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek (NO REVIEW YET)
Star Trek Starship Collection

2 comments:

  1. So...I guess she got a refit after fighting the Vengeance, I had no idea until this post. I guess technically you have two renditions of this refit too, since the Beyond Snapco one in your other post appears to have the same swept nacelles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. We just never got to really see the changes at the end of Into Darkness.

    ReplyDelete