Wednesday, November 1, 2017

EMvTW 86: Gorn Ship (Gress'sril Type or MA12 Class)

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Up next for this month's Eaglemoss vs. The World series is the Gorn ship.  This ship was introduced to us in the remastered version of Star Trek: The Original Series, in an episode titled, "Arena".


According to this Memory Alpha LINK, "A Gorn starship was a type of vessel utilized by the Gorn Hegemony during the mid-23rd century for conducting raids. The Gorn ship was designed with four nacelles."  Furthermore, "The Gorn ship did not appear in the original version of the episode, but rather, was conceived for the remastered episode that aired in 2006."  The ship was never given a canon-classification, probably because it never appeared in the original canon work.  According to this Memory Beta LINK, it was classified as a MA12 Class or Gress'sril Type of starship.  however, given that non-cannon works will sometimes not support each other, there is some confusion as to the naming scheme.


Before we get into my thoughts on Eaglemoss' version of this ship, let us take a closer look at thier model...

 
 
 
 

My first response when I saw the model in the box was, "IT'S SO TINY!"


It doesn't even take up half of the standard sized Eaglemoss box.


I really don't know why they went this route.  I mean... it could have been a bit bigger, right?

The second thing I noticed though was a slight deviation for Eaglemoss in regards to alien ships.  The Gorn model is using some clear purple plastics on it's nacelles, which is rather cool looking.


I know that I'm going out of my usual order of how I rate these models, but in this case, I'm going with what caught my attention first and work my way backwards from that point.  This means that the joins and seams were the next thing I saw and had an opinion on.  For the most part, the seams are pretty well hidden, except when you look at the very bottom of the ship.  I think the small size brings this seam out more.


The sculpting and molding for this model are simplistic yet still carry enough details to not make it bland and boring.  And those few details that were molded in are nice and crisp.  Eaglemoss even added in a protective cowling around the upper nacelles (see two pictures up) bussard collectors, and this was one of those simple details that made for a nice touch to thee overall model.


Upon first glance, it looks like the overall paint job has a faint azteching to keep the model from being bland looking.  Upon closer inspection though, you find that this isn't azteching at all, but rather a silver undercoat with a top greenish wash which gives the ship its dirty or rather earthy tones.  This paint technique was brilliant and works great for this model and in my opinion, this better matches the ship's owners personality and home world.

One small detail that goes a LONG way with this model is the purple stripes on the bottom of the tail.


They are vibrant and stand out, but more importantly, they line up perfectly with thier molded in details.  This also holds true for the impulse engine paint on the end of the tail and the back of the lower nacelles.

 
                                               Tail                                                    Nacelle

Overall, this is a great LITTLE model that is well worth owning, depending on how much you are willing to spend on it.  At the time that I write this article, pricing on eBay seems to be going up with reputable dealers selling it for $35 (shipping included).  That is a LOT of money for such a small model.  It looks like I can get it for around $24 (shipping included) if I shop around though.  I was lucky and got mine for $25 which is what I would personally feel comfortable paying for it, given it's small size.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss

No comments:

Post a Comment