Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Firefly Class - Series 3

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Wow!  Has it really been three months (November 2016) since my last article? I guess so.  I've hinted before that I would need to take a financial hiatus for a bit so, yeah, that was the result.  I managed to scrape up some money for a birthday present to myself, hence this article.

We're going to stray away from Star Trek and take a look at a ship from one of my all time favorite, but short lived TV shows, Firefly.  At least we did get a movie out of it, but it's been a LOOONG time since we've seen anything else.


We are of course talking about the ship called Serenity, a Firefly Class [Series 3] transport from the TV series called "Firefly" and the feature length movie called "Serenity".

When it comes to getting your hands on a pre-built and pre-painted version of this ship, your choices have always been very limited.  I like my models to be a certain size and quite frankly, most available choices are way beyond my pay grade.  I've done some quick searching and besides the two I'm going to share, most other models you can get are anywhere from $350 all the way up to $3000+!!!

As you can from my collection above, I have managed to acquire two variants of this ship as well as printed my own version.

Following is what I like to call the "Gravy Shots" of my articles.  I try to show you a size comparison of everything in my collection to help you make a better decision on your own purchase.

QMX vs. MakerBot vs. Hasbro 

QMX vs. MakerBot vs. Hasbro 

So, without further ado, let's look at the two "affordable" ones available at the time of the writing of this article.



Hasbro

 
 
 
 

At roughly 1/261 Scale, this model is a bit large (about 9.5 inches long) for my collecting tastes, but at the time, she was the only thing available to me at the right price.


As you can see, she's a big girl.  She's made out of some sort of rubberized plastic but is rather durable.  

Hasbro did a fine job producing this model, however, she is not the most screen accurate.  The rubber/plastic material give her a bit of a softened look in regards to her molded details.

What makes her different than your standard collector models, is the her engine compartment comes off to store your dice.


Another neat feature of this model is that it comes with removable landing gear.  this allow you to show off the model in two different configurations.

 

Personally, I show mine off without the landing gear and I just store the legs inside the dice compartment.

One last "feature" from this boxed set is that the dice have an "oriental" theme to them which falls nicely in line with the show's background.


We'll talk about pricing a little later in this article.



QMX (Quantum Mechanix)

 
 
 
 

 

Quantum Mechanix has produced several models of Serenity.  This one is the smallest and measures in at around 8 inches.  They claim that she is 1:1400 Scale.  She is still sort of large for my collecting tastes, but she displays far better than the Hasbro model as she takes up less space.


The molded and painted details on this thing are downright shiny.  The model has all sorts of little nooks and crannies and QMX did and fantastic job showing them off.

A neat feature of this model is that she comes with removable shuttles.  One is in the docked configuration, while the other is in flight mode.

 
 

Yes, these are tiny little shuttles, so be careful not to lose them.


Here you can see the shuttles in the way they are meant to be displayed.

 

This is the most inexpensive model of Serenity that QMX carries.  We'll talk about the price of this one in a little bit.  The other models they sell range in prices from $350, $3,496, and $7,495 respectively.  That's a lot of credits to hand over.

Also, on a side note, when my model arrived in it's never before opened box, it seems that one of the engine pods and struts broke at some point.  a little super glue fixed the problem, but the model is fragile, so be careful with her.



Conclusion

At this point in my articles, I like to do a quick check on eBay to get some prices of the ships I've shared with you.  I typically will just round up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices (with shipping included in that price) from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Hasbro = $20
Quantum Mechanix = $100

We now come to the part of my article where I like to give you my opinion of which ship gives you the "best bang for the buck", which is my rough way of telling you which one is the best one to get, for the best price.  To put this in a nutshell, when I write these, I am trying to give my opinion of which model is the best for the least cost.

As shiny as the QMX model is, with all of it's little details, that $100 price tag makes her a bit of an investment for me.  Which means that if you want a model of the Serenity, for a really good price, then I'd recommend the Hasbro Yahtzee set.



BONUS ROUND!!!

Every once in a while, I'll have a little extra stuff to share with you that sort of fits in with my comparison articles.

MakerBot

 
 
 
 

This is my MakerBot 3D printing of Serenity from "Firefly" and "Serenity".

 I got the STL files from ThingVerse and then ran it through my work's MakerBot printer.  I'm unsure of her scale, but I tried to print her out at 6 inches to keep her in size to the rest of my collection.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Hasbro          QMX
MakerBot     Comparative Pics

No comments:

Post a Comment