Monday, March 21, 2016

EMvTW 58: Borg Tactical Cube

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

I have been doing a lot of re-writing of my older Eaglemoss vs. The World articles so it feels like forever since I have brought you a new review.  In reality, it has only been a month.

As I started getting into collecting and wanting to expand my collection, I found a serious lack of  comparative data out there showing the various small scale pre-built and pre-painted ships available to the collector.  And so I set out to provide this information myself and hopefully help someone make a wiser decision in which model to buy.

The bittersweet news is that looking ahead, it appears that we will actually see very few comparative articles coming from me in the future.  I'm sad, as it means that my sole purpose for writing these sorts of articles is coming to an end.  But, I'm also happy in that Eaglemoss has far surpassed my wants in a manufacturer who would make models of ships that no one else has produced.   And unlike Hallmark, they are not wasting production time by producing the same model in an updated format every several years.  Check out my articles on the Galaxy Class and TOS Constitution Class to see what I mean.

This review is going to focus on the Borg Tactical Cube.


As I alluded to initially, I only have one manufacturer, Eaglemoss, to show off

The ship is actually called a Class 4 Tactical Cube and in person would measure over 3 km on each side.  Unlike her generic Cube sister ships, this baby comes with heavy duty armor.  The scale of the Eaglemoss model throws you off when you try to wrap your head around the size of this ship.

I have done some other articles on Borg ships before.  Feel free to check out the following articles: Borg Sphere (EMvTW), Borg Probe AKA "Coffin" Ship (Resin Kit Review), and of course, the well known Borg Cube (EMvTW).

Since I only have the one model to talk about, let's jump right into reviewing Eaglemoss' rendition.

Eaglemoss

 
 

Unlike most vessels, there really isn't a lot of different angles I can give you of this thing.  There are three distinct sides to the ship, and then these are repeated again to give you all six sides of the cube.

Actually, upon closer examination, one of the sides is not an exact duplication.  As you can see from the picture below, there is a bit of a difference in the depth from the armor and the main hull.


Don't get me wrong.  The sculpting and molding on this thing is stunning.  From all the intricate pipe work on the exposed hull, down to the paneling and other greebles on the armor, is just really nicely done.  It does get slightly repetitive, but that is the nature of Borg vessels in general, so I expected this to happen.  I do feel that the repetitive nature was far less noticeable than on other Eaglemoss Borg ships.


I really liked the paint job that Eaglemoss did as well.  The brushed metallic paint on the exposed cube gave it some depth that the larger regular cub was missing.  The armor plating has some nice panel paint work as well as a light aztecing all over which really causes the model to stand out well when compared to other Eaglemoss Borg ships.

My only recommendation to Eaglemoss that would have made me really psyched would have been to add a little brushing of green paint to certain random areas of the exposed cube.  Having some sort of "greenish glow" would have been super cool to see.

This appears to be the first of the STANDARD LINE of Eaglemoss models that is completely plastic.  It is also hollow.  I felt like I had to emphasize that standard part as I know that the regular Borg Cube was also completely plastic, but it also was a special edition and a harder to get model.

The seam joins are near perfect though and hidden from eye sight very well.

Like the Borg Sphere, there are no clear plastics on this model, however, I think it would have been a manufacturing nightmare to try to include any.

Honestly, this is a very well done model on Eaglemoss' part.  Don't let the light weight full you, she is indeed well made.  I have to say that I like her a lot more than her much larger, light up version.  I would even dare say, that I think she is better than the Borg Sphere.

Conclusion

And that is all I have to share on this ship at this time.  Which brings us to the pricing portion of my article.  As usual, I will continue with the tradition of rounding up the most inexpensive Buy-It-Now prices from eBay at the time of this article's writing.

Eaglemoss = $27

We now come to the part of my article where I like to give you my opinion of which ship gives you the "best bang for the buck", which is my rough way of telling you which one is the best one to get, for the best price.  In all honesty, when I write these, I am trying to give my opinion of which model is the best for the least cost.

Ummmm... yeah....  As I have been saying, I really dug this particular Borg ship from Eaglemoss.  Of all of thier attempts so far, this is a very nice rendition and would look very good in your fleet.

As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"

Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment