Monday, January 21, 2019

Shadow Empire Constitution Class

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

It has been a bit since I shared one of my model builds.  With the rewrite of my Eaglemoss vs. The World review of the TOS Constitution Class (you can read that review at THIS LINK), this model came back into the light.


I figured that it was time to give it an article.


In Universe Notes

The Wraith
Constitution Class
Captured by The Shadow Empire
1:2500 Scale Bandai/AMT (Round 2) Kitbash 

 
 
 
 

The Shadow Empire is a made up of a trans-dimensional species that absolutely hates all life from our universe. Their dimension is completely dark and what little excursions into their space that have been made, have revealed no planets or stars, thus leaving that universe completely dark.  They were made aware of our existence several centuries ago during testing of some experimental drive technologies. Since then, there has been very limited contact with TSE, however, those contacts have led to all out bloody conflicts every time. The true identity of The Wraith is currently unknown. Either Starfleet has buried the details of her true name and registry or those details were lost after the ship crossed over into the Shadow Dimension. The best educated guess as to the nature of the ship is that she was dragged into the Shadow Dimension where she was captured and her crew was no doubt executed after being tortured for any information they could give.

TSE then adapted the ship, giving her trans-dimensional drives, allowing her to easily cross into our universe.





Besides the standard Constitution Class weaponry, she also appears to have received some major weapons upgrades which include nine forward facing torpedo launchers (6 on top and 3 on the bottom) and three phaser turrets (1 on top and 2 on the bottom) on the saucer section.


Current Starfleet protocol is to not engage with this ship and report sightings of this ship immediately to Starfleet Command.

Real World Notes

This is a little project that my oldest son started back in 2014, and then never finished. I believe his intentions were to mount some Battleship gun turrets to the primary hull. Since that time, those turrets were used in another project. I've decided to pick this up and see what I could do with it.

My son Steven saw Robin Elliot Targaryen-Cooper's TOS Enterprise with the gun turrets and asked if he could do something like that. I had some turrets left from my last build and a 1:2500 Enterprise, and so he set out to work on this in December of 2014.  He got as far as painting all the parts while they were still on the sprue.

 

And then he suddenly lost interest and the project sat in a box for the next three years.  In January 2018, I was bored and looking for something to do and found this lost project.  And so I set out to finish what he began.  I applied a Fresh coat of paint to certain areas of the ship where I didn't quite agree with the colors he chose. In the three years the project sat, the guns he had picked out were reused for other projects, so I had to spend some time finding a bunch of gun turrets in my greebles box.


I spent the next day, assembling parts of the model. While I was doing that, I continued with touch up paint. I no longer had the old battleship gun turrets, so I dug out some Space Battleship Yamato bad guy gun turrets to use instead. The larger ones would serve as torpedo launchers, while the small round ones would serve as phaser turrets. With this in mind, I mounted the wepons systems to the bottom of the saucer section.

 

The next day was a rather short one for me as I only had time to mount the top side torpedo launchers and phaser turret and fill in the gaps.


The last day of the project, saw a lot of  touch-up paint work and then I finished assembling the rest of the model.  I then cleaned up the excess glue, let everything dry, and did one last round of touch-up work.

 

Once I was happy with everything, I applied a clear coat of paint to seal it all up.

This was a fun little project, that didn't take a lot of time to put together.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
The Wraith ( Model     WIP )

No comments:

Post a Comment