Sunday, March 11, 2018

Project Time Trap

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

Sometimes, when I am searching for ideas to kitbash, I have to look no further than actual TV episodes or movies of star Trek.  In the case of this next model, it was an episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series and an episode called "The Time Trap"


This is the story of that random idea and rather quick build...


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "The Enterprise becomes trapped in the Delta Triangle, an area of space where many starships have gone missing. To make matters worse, the ship also has to defend itself from the Klothos, a Klingon vessel commanded by Commander Kor."

Without trying to give too much away, The enterprise and the Klothos are joined together to share energy resources for an escape attempt.

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

WARNING: SPOILERS
Episode Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

The Build Process:

Let us start with how this little project came to be.  I was watching Star Trek: The Animated Series one evening and after watching the episode called "The Time Trap", I got the idea to do this quick silly little project. 


I had an extra TOS era Enterprise and Klingon ship in my inventory, so I figured, "what the heck."    

The model ended up taking on two phases.  Phase I comprised of the initial build.

Parts Used: 1:2500 Scale AMT Round 2 Enterprise Kit (TOS Era) and 1:2500 Scale AMT Round 2 Klindon D7 Kit


The first night just involved gathering the parts needed for the build project.

The second night was nothing more than gluing together the two models.


Day three saw me painting both ships with thier base colors and once that dried, I started on some of the more finer detail painting.  I even tried a color paint called Gold Metal Flake in the nacelle grille of the Klingon. I think I like it.

 
 

I got side tracked from this project for a few days, but eventually returned to it.  At that point, it was a matter of touching up any paint mistakes and then gluing the two model together.

 

And that was all it took.  It was a fun and rather quick project to do.

Project Time Trap (v1)
USS Enterprise and IKS Klothos
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

Once I built this, something about it just didn't feel right with me.  I never felt comfortable that the two ships were able to be held together like they were.  Since the dimension the ships were stuck in, was essentially a ship graveyard, I often felt that the two crews would have used materials that they found to shore up both ships to make sure that they would stay together during the crossing back into normal space.

I eventually broke down and added a little something more to my model in the form of cut up sprue.


I have often been teased after I made this modification that it looks like the Enterprise is having intercourse with the Klingon vessel.  Perhaps that's how the CD7 Class was born?  

 

If you are interested in the CD7 Class Battleship, you can read more about it at THIS LINK.

I painted the support struts to look old and rusty and that was the end of the "upgrade".

Project Time Trap (v2)
USS Enterprise and IKS Klothos
1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash

 
 
 
 

And there you go.  This is a really nice an simple kitbash that anyone can do.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever apply the appropreiate coloured & sized decals to this project kit(s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, my skillset is not the best when it comes to applying decals. I only in the last year starting using decals and I still don't feel comfortable with them.

      Delete