Saturday, March 9, 2019

EMvTW Special 16: V'Ger

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

With the Standard Edition Collection getting close to the end with only about 20 or more models to go, it seems like Eaglemoss has been working overtime to get their Special Edition models out to us a bit quicker.  It feels like I was just reviewing Spacedock a month ago.  Well, it was more like 2 months, but they are still producing them faster than before. Which brings us to the next in line of the Special Edition models, V'ger.  We get to meet this "living" vessel in the very first movie, "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)".


The Eaglemoss model is a one of a kind.  I don't know of any other manufacturers that have produced this ship in a pre-built and pre-painted model at this scale.  And I have to tell you, the model is pretty darned long, measuring in at just shy of 9 inches.


Per Memory Alpha and Beta, "V'ger was a massive entity and one of the most extraordinary lifeforms ever encountered by the United Federation of Planets. It generated enormous levels of power and threatened Earth with destruction until it found a way to evolve.  V'ger chose its own name. Before the name of the vessel was discovered, Starfleet personnel referred to the ship as "the intruder"."

If you would like to read more official stuff on this type of ship, feel free to check out the following links:

V'Ger Information: Memory Alpha LINK and Memory Beta LINK

The ship, and the model, is very symmetrical, thus having a very repetitive profile.  That means that we're going to have a few less "photo-shoot" pictures than I normally take.  It just seemed kind of silly to me to take pictures of the underside of the ship, when they would have looked exactly the same as the top.

 
 

Once again, since I pre-ordered my model, it was sent early, and without the magazine.  This has become the norm for Eaglemoss, and while I will eventually get the magazine, the situation does not help me with the review.  So bare with me as I wing it, using the Internet for source material.

As I already said, the sculpt and mold work on the model is rather repetitive, but the detail level is just downright AWESOME, except for one small place.  The only area of the model, that does not have any detail is on the inside of the maw of the ship.


While Eaglemoss did manage to dabble some paint in there, when compared to the rest of the model, this area just came off looking odd.

I do have to say that I love all the intricate little details that were molded along the sides of the vessel.


The sculpt and paint work blend well together to give the entire ship and ancient look and feel to it.

The "wings" are sturdy and also bear some nice molding work to them as well.


I particularly like the engineering section. 


Something really impressed me about the Eaglemoss model might seem trivial to others.  There are these long blue colored panels that line the rear engine exhaust manifold, and Eaglemoss lined the edges of these panels with tiny little bits that give the pieces a fuzzy look.  This is an effect that I don't think I've seen on any other Eaglemoss model, but in my opinion, Eaglemoss pulled this effect off superbly.


We then turn our attention to the rear of the ship and the engine exhaust.  In my opinion, this is the one place where the paint work seems a bit wonky.  The dirt wash was not applied very well here, leaving certain bits (like the lower right corner of my picture) looking unfinished.  My initial reaction to the exhaust paint itself was that it was sloppy as well, but now that I've looked at it several times, I can see what Eaglemoss was attempting to go for, appearance wise, and I really don't know how they could have done better. 


Here is a picture of the rear of the ship from the movie.  I suppose, Eaglemoss did as well as can be expected.

Photo Credit: Memory Alpha

Other than the extreme front and extreme rear of the ship, the model looks to have a fantastic paint job.  I am a real big fan of the weathering paint that was applied across the model,  and it seems to have been applied in a more random fashion across the whole model, thus giving the ship a bit more definition, as well as helping alleviate some of the other repetitive looks.

And that is all the pictures and comparisons I have to share on this ship at this time.  As of the writing of this article (March 9th, 2019), I was able to find this model on eBay for around $49 (shipping included, and you can also get the model directly from the Eaglemoss U.S. WebStore for around $45 (shipping unknown).

And that brings us to the end where I get to tell you if I think the model is worth the money.  While I do like the Special Edition line of models, their price is pretty much twice that of the Standard line.  Sure, the Special Edition models are bigger, but when I pay more money, I expect better quality too.  The paintwork at the front and rear of the model was a tiny bit disappointing, however, it wasn't deal breaking.  In the end, I like how the model looks and I have to admit, it is so unique, it really stands out in my collection.  So in the end, I'll say that I actually do feel like this model is worth it and should be invested in.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:
Eaglemoss   

Other Reviewers Take On The Eaglemoss Model:
Some Kind Of Star Trek [NO REVIEW YET]
Star Trek Starship Collection [NO REVIEW YET]

NOTE: Whoever was running the Star Trek Starship Collection Review blog at THIS LINK, seams to have dropped off the grid after their review of Warship Voyager.  While commenter's have asked the writer if he/she was OK, there has been no reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment